Robert
Robert, Peugeot Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

peugeot 406 knock coming from the front end when going slowly,

Customer Question

peugeot 406 knock coming from the front end when going slowly, checked droplinks, trackrod ends, ball joint and engine mount all look and feel solid unless i'm missing something sugestions please , i'm stumped
thanks
Rob
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

When you say going slowly i asume you mean this happens going over potholes/road humps etc you hear this or when you suddenly take the power off when coming to a stop?

Do you still hear it on a flat even road surface?

Does it get any worse when going full lock in either direction for example etc?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

get it mainly on uneven streets, on a flat even road surface only if I hit a bump,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

get it mainly on uneven streets, on a flat even road surface only if I hit a bump, have the front of the car up on axle stands at the mo trying to find the cause

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for getting back.

I do know roll bar droplinks on these are pretty much known for going on these and is very comon fault..and would certainly match the symtoms you describe..Sometimes with the links if you can move them them about at the ball socket end easily with your hands then that a sure sign there worn - if you can baearly turn them or move them then they should be ok.but like i say they are very common for wearing out - so im not sure wether that something you have done - also make an inspection of the antiroll bar bushes - if you follow that bar along to other side you come across the the two bushes and see if there is any excess movement there - Im not so so sure the engine mounts would really cause this as far as seen before usually they can be heard if worn if you take your foot off the pedal quickly and you get that knock or apply the pedal quickly or the engine moves about a bit - its does sound to me as far as you describe more a suspension related issue than anything else - track rods ends.balljoints lower can be checked by feeling for any slight or excess movement on the tyre..so basically getting the wheel off the ground and take the tyre with both hands and feel for any movement and asweel as take the wheel top and bottom with both hands and the same again feel for any movement this will to of course sheck for any hub movement in regards to wheel bearing - if you have lever then place that under the tyre and lift it up and won to work the suspension and have somebody else look in from the rear of the tyre and see if they can spot any excess movement from any of the balljoint - also dont forget to check both lower arm bushes too for the same movement in particular the rear most one the one towards the back - place a lever between that the wishbone and the subframe and see what you find - any excess movement on these will no doubt cause this like a knocking effect - One other possible could the top mount or maybe the driveshaft cv joints which would be worth checking whilst your there - but as far as your description goes its certainly either those droplinks which are replaced in pairs - or slight movement in either the lower balljoint or one of the lower arm bushes..its really going to have to be case of pinning down which side you hear it most so you know which side to concentrate on and basically check each area carefully for movement..I do hope this helps..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no movement in drop links, have replaced them both twice in the 8 years ive had the car, antiroll bar bushes a swine to get to but seem ok , have checked for movement in the road wheels and there is no play, had someone rock the steering wheel side to side while I checked for any play in the track rod and balljoint, cant see or feel anything and have tried levering wishbone again looks solid. like I said, stumped

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for getting back..

Ok..well it seems you have checked basically everything - if your 100% sure all those common areas are ruled out then next checks would be shock and top mount maybe.front subframe bushes any movement/issues there..driveshaft itself cv joint mostly outer cv nearest hub - usually if they are faulty than as you know i these mostly clunk/click when at full lock but id certainly rule it out anyway..Might be long shot but maybe check for excess movement at the exhaust from section just to be sure that not knocking.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

just had a new exhaust fitted and have checked this, have looked at subframe, again looks ok but not certain, cant make it move anyway, shock seems ok but not sure how to check the top mount, dont think its the drive shaft as steering position does not seem to have any influance, btw when i go over the small narrow speed humps and drive so i go over them centraly do not get a knock, seems to happen when one wheel sudenly goes higher or lower than the other.

have to get car of stands now as I have to go to grandsons birthday party, but will stay online a little longer then have to go

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there..

by the sounds of it is only really leaving the top mount on that offending side your hearing the noise from..if the weight of the car seems to stop the noise on that side the knockings coming from then it could be the top bearing/mount/strut even.top bearing are alittle harder to check but usually if the bearing gone or sieze then you will hear that like a grating/rumble as the steering is turned or to much up and down movment at the turret where the bearing is seated/bolted compared to the other side as a guide..Without actually physically checking it myself i think that's about the only area left id say..if as before you 100% sure all the areas we've mentioned before are ruled out..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Robert
no grating or rumbling when i turn steering, will have another look tomorow , going to check the rear as well, have to go

thanks

Rob

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there..

Thats no problem..If need to ask anything else then just continue if need be..