Mark
Mark, Peugeot Certified Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified technician and MOT tester.
69494627

Hello There, I bought a 2005 407 1.6 hdi a few months ago

Customer Question

Hello There,
I bought a 2005 407 1.6 hdi a few months ago and recently i went for an nct (irish mot) and it failed on emmisions, i flushed through some dipetene but emissions were worse next time.The car does put black sooty smoke out the exhaust and when i got a man to do a diagnostic check he told me the cat converter and dpf have been removed and the car diagnosis brain wiped so it reads no faults...I can't afford to put the car back to original spec so i am looking for a way to get it through the emissions test..
Any ideas/help would be very much appreciated
Paul.
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

markthebooler :

Hello.

markthebooler :

There are a few things you could try but at the end of the day you may have to just fit a new catalyst and dpf to reduce the emissions.

markthebooler :

You could try fitting a new air filter, carry out an engine flush and fill with clean oil. Before taking it for a test you should also drive the vehicle a bit harder on a motorway to bring the exhaust up to temperature and try burn away any excessive carbon deposits.

markthebooler :

These might help reduce emissions to a level that will pass but if not then you will have to put car back to original specs.

markthebooler :

Mark.

JACUSTOMER-7vbq8vvl- :

JACUSTOMER-7vbq8vvl- :

JACUSTOMER-7vbq8vvl- :

I've pretty much tried all this already..do you reckon a cat off a 307 hdi will fit my 407..i heard this might be a solution as my car is a bit messed up...also it goes into limp mode now and again but if i pull in and restart with the accelerator down full it revs out again ???

Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I have sent a message to Professional to let them know that you are waiting.

Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Not sure about fitting the cat from a 307 as I have never tried that personally. However if you can make it fit then it should work.

Mark.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'll have to look into that a bit more...whats most common fault for goinginto limp mode ?? but does come out after restart

Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Going into limp mode can happen if any fault code is stored. It is designed to protect the engine from damage. Causes can be bad connections, faulty sensors or even bad fuel.

Mark.