Peterkmiles
Peterkmiles, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  13 years experience at the highest level of automotive technology
37560582

I bought a Peugeot 207 (2008) in April 2013 from a dealership.

Customer Question

I bought a Peugeot 207 (2008) in April 2013 from a dealership. I noticed a problem when dropping gears from fifth to neutral or other lower gears within the fist week. The dealership replaced the gear rods but the technicians were still not happy and order another part (cables I think). Now they have carried out the repair and cannot get the car started and I have now been informed that a new ecu is required. My question is whether there is a link between the gear problems and the ecu or has the problem been the ecu all along? I have researched my problem and noted that someone had a similar problem with fifth gear but it was only a link pin that required replacing whereas I have had gear rods and cables replaced and the car remains in the garage because it won't start and they want me to pay for the replacement ecu and labour costs.

Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Peterkmiles replied 4 years ago.

This is a very unfortunate set of events, but in my experience an unconnected set of events. A manual gearbox's gear cables and rods have no electronic connections so I feel it exceptionally unlikely to be connected.

I hope this helps you.

Best. regards