Nathan B
Nathan B, Mechanic
Experience:  20+ years experience working on a wide range of vehicles both as an employee and also running my own garage
27720961

Peugeot(NNN) NNN-NNNN2litre. Faults:- With ignition key removed

Customer Question

Peugeot(NNN) NNN-NNNN2litre. Faults:- With ignition key removed and no head or side lights on, the following are on - 'battery' indicator, temperature reading, all drivers 6 window door button lights & also passenger window button light, the heating/air conditioning panel stays on, and the radio does not turn off automatically as was normal - it has to be done manually. All this causes the battery to run down flat. It's a bit much to disconnect the battery every time I have to stop. At the current time it is at the garage having passed the MOT and had a service when the alternator was replaced. They say that 6 !!!! 'auto electricians' have looked at it and can't find the fault(s). Any comments or help on this would be appreciated - thanks [email protected]
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes - please continue to find a solution asap please

Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this.

My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.

what was checked so far? (did you try unplugging the ignition switch, to see if it turns off correctly)?
did you check the fuse boxes for any short circuits?
did you try disconnecting the main relay, and see if everything goes off?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had left it all to the garage, but now I have got my car back home -with the faults still present - I will personally do the checks you mention and then get back to you as soon as I can

Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.
Waiting for your findings (hopefully some good news), so we proceed accordingly...

Regards, Billy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
29.7.13 - Have found out that if I take out fuse 28, all the faults as listed disappear but I then have problems with the operation of the windows.
Although the operation and maintenance book states that the sun roof and the brake lights are on fuse 28, they in fact operate correctly. The windows only work in short bursts and move up or down by about 2 inches at each press - not in a continuous movement, the drivers window not closing or opening the whole way with a long or hard press.
The current consumption with the fuse 28 in is 1.00 amps and with fuse out the figure is 0.5 amps.
Does this help?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

2.8.13. Did you get my reply of 29.7.13? This was the latest info I have but can investigate more if needed.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have you received my replies of 29.7.13 and 2.8.13 ? and can you let me have your comments please.

Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

My apologies for the delay, the system did not notify me of your replies.

If the battery cable was removed, then the window would make this problem (not go all the way), and to reset it, you need to close it to the top, and then keep pressing the button for 10 seconds. and do the same when opening, and the same for the other window.

Having done this, and still having the problem, what was checked by the garage, do you still have the same problems?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The garage said they checked everything with 4 to 6 people being involved and they consulted Peugeot experts and the only comments have been 'best of luck' with the problem, hence contacting you. The actual or detailed tests were not listed by them but they said they tried 'everything', so your guess is as good as mine to know exactly what was done.

The main problem is still that the battery still runs down and the lights as mentioned in my first message to you stay on even with the ignition key removed from the switch. Hence the need to remove the battery connection whenever the engine is not needed. (I accept and agree with your comments re the door window operations and also think that is a minor and secondary problem)

Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

Other than fuse 28, do you have other fuses takign power? (with everything off, and doors closed, which other fuses are draining the battery)?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

8.8.2013 00.35hrs.

Will try to get an answer asap - weather permitting - and let you know the results - I hope by tomorrow.