Robert
Robert, Peugeot Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

Hi, I have a Peugeot 206 SW (estate) which has covered 72000

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Peugeot 206 SW (estate) which has covered 72000 miles. There is s distinct 'knocking' sound from the rear offside (driver's side) when going around R.H. bend. It is made worse when there are passengers in the back seat. Sounds like it could be a bushing of some sort, or worn shock absorbers? Any advice appreciated.......Thanks; Ian.
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully I can help..

These cars use an axle beam configuration..its not to uncommon for these "trailing arm bushes/bearings" to fail and cause a knock sensation through the car from the back..so those would certainly need to be check aswell as the axle beam support mounts to the body of the car again the same check for any detrioation there in regards to the bushes etc..there will also be an added Rear Axle Stabiliser bar 2 in fact on the 206sw - again check those both ends for wear too.using a lever etc to observe any excess movement.shocks can be checked at both ends for wear or splits in the bushes.sometimes they maybe difficult to check on the ground and usually the preferred method is to get the car up in the air on 2 post lift to be able to check for sure exactly where the knockings from.but by the sounds of it and your sure the noise is from the back corner then it does the fault could be the trailing arm.but hard to say for sure without actually visually checking this..also too ensure the wheel on the back is secure aswell as if you can jack that side up and feel for any movement.and if you can check for play in regards to areas above..I do hope this helps