Mark
Mark, Peugeot Certified Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified technician and MOT tester.
69494627

Hi, I have just replaced the battery on my 2003-406 S HDI 90

Customer Question

Hi, I have just replaced the battery on my 2003-406 S HDI 90 Diesel estate car due to cold weather starting problems. Battery was 9 years old!!!

Prior to this operation, my central locking was working perfectly, but after the battery change, I am having to lock the car manually. What has gone wrong in such a simple job
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Mark :

Hello, My name is Mark and I will try help you with this.

Mark :

Replacing the battery is no longer a simple job due the amount of complex systems on todays vehicles.

Mark :

Peugeots have a particular method that must be followed when replacing the battery.

Mark :

PROCEDURE FOR BATTERY DIS-CONNECTION (The 3 Minute Rule)

Whenever a vehicle battery has to be dis-connected, switch off all equipment, interior lights etc, close the doors leaving the drivers window open.

Switch off the ignition and remove the key and any DIAG equipment.

Wait a full 3 minutes before disconnecting the battery.

The BSi must be allowed to go to SLEEP ie into "power save mode". Do not operate any equipment on the vehicle during this time. Remember, even opening the bonnet will wake the BSi on a vehicle fitted with alarm.

If the battery is under the bonnet, open the bonnet first and leave it up. 807 batteries can be dis-connected through the drivers window, remove floor cover first.

ALWAYS disconnect any DIAG equipment and do not operate any plips from other vehicles during the 3 minute waiting period.

PROCEDURE FOR BATTERY RECONNECTION

Unless otherwise instructed by Peugeot or Product Service, you must always carry out the following procedure, often referred to as a "soft re-boot", to minimise the possibility of the BSi corrupting its own software when reconnecting the vehicles battery supply.
Ensure the procedure for battery disconnection has been adhered to and importantly all BSi functions were switched off with the drivers window left down.

1 Close all doors
2 Remove ignition key if left in ignition
3 Reconnect battery. DO NOT open any doors
4 Wait 10 seconds
5 Switch on headlights through the drivers window (you will hear a "bong")
6 Switch on ignition then start the vehicle and check system functions

NOTE: Upon reconnection, if any vehicle function controlled by the BSi i.e . interior light is switched on,the internal operation of the BSi has the potential to spike or corrupt its configuration and software program......

JACUSTOMER-75awt1wy- :

Hi Mark. Thanks for the information. Unfortunately it is dark where I am so I will not be able to put you advice to the test until morning.

JACUSTOMER-75awt1wy- :

Sorry I hit the enter key by mistake. I meant to add that I will be in contact tomorrow as soon as I have carried out your advice. Thanks for a quick service. Anthony.

Mark :

No problem.

JACUSTOMER-75awt1wy- :

Hi Mark. I have had a fruitless morning carrying out your instructions regarding my Peugeot 406 HDI 90 problem. I printed out your instructions and copied them to the letter. I did this several times during the morning, but nothing worked.

JACUSTOMER-75awt1wy- :

Hit the wrong key again, sorry. I am 72 and my fingers do not work well at times. To continue. I rang my local garage who service my car and took the car into them. They simply reprogrammed the door key which took all of 5 minutes, and I was on my way with everything back to normal.

JACUSTOMER-75awt1wy- :

Do I still have to pay for information that did not work in the end.

JACUSTOMER-75awt1wy- :

Anthony.

JACUSTOMER-75awt1wy- :

Mark, in this case, with the information not working, I do not know how to rate your service. Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry about hitting the wrong key, am on my partners laptop and the layout is different to mine.

Mark :

I didn't include the instructions for programming the door key as you said you had already tried that using the information from the handbook.

Mark :

My information was really based on the fact that you thought replacing the car battery was a simple job when it actually requires a certain process to be carried out.

Mark :

I see now that you were actually talking about the battery in the remote and not the car battery even though the way it was worded as having cold start problems suggested it was the car battery at fault.

Mark :

The answer I gave you, although did not help in this instance, technically was not wrong. I hope you can see that.

Mark :

However, it is better for me if you do not rate my assistance on this occasion and simply ask for a refund. If you rate it negatively then it could see me being removed from the site for giving bad information.

Mark :

If you think you need to rate my answer, then please rate it with a positive.

Mark :

Mark :

Mark.

JACUSTOMER-75awt1wy- :

Thank you Mark for your helpful reply. I have requested a refund. Many thanks Anthony