Robert
Robert, Peugeot Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

hi my 308 hdi its an 08 model, after driving on the motorway

Customer Question

hi my 308 hdi its an 08 model, after driving on the motorway come off the motorway onto b road then came to traffic light i stopped and the low oil pressure light and stop came on and then went off it then came on a couple more times i stopped switched off let engine cool down i  checked oil after let it stand for 3 hrs and its full on dip stick and the oil ok comes up on start up there are no other warnings that come up on dash any ideas was going to do an oil and filter change next week anyway

Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

There could be few or several reasons - first as you have done already is to ensure the oil level is in fact correct when the car is on level ground if possible as always to get an better reading and see if it needs topped up - if that is ok - other checks would have to involve checking the oil level/pressure sensor and its wiring fully to ensure these haven't become loose or the level/pressure sensor in itself has become faulty which you'll need to fit a new one and then test drive again to see if the problem comes back -can be common for these to go faulty suddenly - other likely problem could be oil pressure or circulation problem usually the engine would sound noiser in operation if thats the case in particular the top end etc - ideally a proper gauge/equipment to monitor the pressure in place of the pressure switch to ensure it is indeed correct and within spec and the pump is in fully working order to circulate the oil properly at the correct pressure or via diagnostic machine to monitor it - Another likely cause could be inside the sump itself ie:- the pick-up/strainer is getting blocked slightly or blockage somewhere in the oil passage ways..sometimes using a engine oil flush can help / sometimes running some cheap oil through a few times and draining off might help before you add the better quailty oil/filter if it is a suspect blockage - so there are few things above that can be checked and hopefully solve the issue - But as you say - try a full engine oil and oil filter change and see if that makes any difference.i would advise that first in any case aswell as pressure check to see if this is actually just a pressure sender sensor fault or possible oil pump/circulation issue...I do hope this helps..if you need to ask anything else or include further info then just continue before you rate

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi yea thanks the oil pressure light only came on this afternoon and that was the first time and only at tick over if you raise the revs slightly it will go off had the car less than 2 mtgs and it was meant to have had a full service etc when i bought it done around 2000 miles since i got it and it s saying another 5000+ till next service but could be a case they just reset the clock and not done service water temp ect were ok so i will do oil change and filter and see what happens

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

Yes an oil/filter change would be the best way forward - but i would certainly instruct the garage to do a proper oil pressure test..By the way you describe by increasing the revs somewhat and the warning goes - "could" point to oil pump failure or stages of - unless as i say that sensor is going faulty..so in this case if at all possible i wouldnt really advise using the car or run the engine in this condition to be honest - unless its to get the oil/filter change/pressure check done..this will help reduce any possible knock on effects mechanically wear wise - if the oil pump is on the way out..I do hope this helps further