Mark
Mark, Peugeot Certified Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified technician and MOT tester.
69494627

Hello,I went to look at a Peugeot 807 executive and said I

Customer Question

Hello,I went to look at a Peugeot 807 executive and said I would buy it but now am not sure. Reason is I have read bad reviews on it and wondering if i should listen to them. Am worried the electrics might go, the car is a 2004 and has done 105,000 miles. Are these models known for electrical failure?
Also I found the gears very stiff trying to put into 1st and 3rd gear, and reverse, is this something do do with this particular model, or is there something wrong with the clutch/and or gearstick?
I also thought I hear a slight rattling sound coming from the back of the car, could this be the exhaust?
I need some advice ASAP, should I be steering clear of this model, or just this car, or both?
I also read in reviews that there have also been faults with this model with water pouring down into the engine and prematurely corroding the cambelt? Please could you help me, as I need to make a decision. Thank you.
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Mark replied 2 years ago.

Mark :

Hello, my name is Mark and I will try help you with this.

Mark :

I think you should avoid this vehicle.

Mark :

You already appear to be feeling negativity for it from what you have researched about it and also the problems with the gear change and the rattling noise from the rear.

Mark :

What you have to remember is this car is ten yrs old and is basically at the end of its expected lifespan, no matter how good it looks.

Mark :

If the government scrappage scheme was still in place then this vehicle would have been eligible.

Mark :

The problem with modern cars compared to cars from the 70's, 80's and even 90's is that they don't really rust which means they look good.

Mark :

JACUSTOMER-ebxxu2bi- : Yes the car does look really nice, I guess that's what interested me, the interior is very clean and nice, and the extras seem like a nice idea but afraid it could all go wrong. Have you experienced seeing Peugeot 807s of this age with electrical problems? (sliding doors, folding mirrors etc.)
Mark :

I've seen cars less than a year with these problems.

Mark :

It's what keeps garages in business.

JACUSTOMER-ebxxu2bi- : And Of this same model?
Mark :

This model and many other makes.

Mark :

The thing to remember though is if all the electrics currently work then either they have all been repaired earlier or they wont suffer failure as they have proved to be reliable for the last 10 yrs.

Mark :

The rattle from the rear could have many causes, most will not be serious.

Mark :

Annoying maybe.

JACUSTOMER-ebxxu2bi- : The owner told me the only thing not working was the drivers heated seat....we have a limited budget and recently had a bad experience buying a Toyota avensis verso with full service history needing major work doing on it, so we lost money on that and now looking for another 7 seater...we just want something reliable and someone told me peugeots are known for electrical problems, don't know if that is true.
Mark :

They can suffer from electrical problems, but so do Renaults and Citroens. However, things like heated seats although nice are not really required or affect the running of the vehicle.

Mark :

What's more important is engine servicing history and timing belt changes etc.

Mark :

What engine is in this.

JACUSTOMER-ebxxu2bi- : Yes I realise that, the seat does not bother me...it was the other electrical things like doors...if they failed to open and say there was an accident..and you needed together out...can they open manually?
Mark :

Yes

Mark :

They are designed to fail safe.

Mark :

They wouldn't pass regulations otherwise.

JACUSTOMER-ebxxu2bi- : A Peugeot engine I presume..it is a Peugeot 807 people carrier...I tried to open the sliding door manually when viewing the vehicle but could not and lady said she only opened it with remote...The thing that most concerns me is the stiff gears, is this a sign of the the gearbox/clutch going? And the handbrake is quite difficult to lift up,
Mark :

The brake and gearchange is more likely to be caused by stiff cables.

Mark :

I meant what engine size and if petrol or diesel.

JACUSTOMER-ebxxu2bi- : Would that be something that needs fixing and is it costly? Diesel 2.2L
Mark :

if the door doesn't open manually then it has a mechanical defect, not electrical.

Mark :

New gear and brake cables could be about £350

Mark :

4hours labour plus parts

JACUSTOMER-ebxxu2bi- : Ok,
JACUSTOMER-ebxxu2bi- : If anything electrical were to fail on this car, like the doors or mirrors, would we be looking at an expensive job?
Mark :

I would advise using parts from a breakers yard for those type of parts as from Peugeot can be expensive.

Mark :

The timing belt is also due for replacement at 10 yrs old and is not a cheap job.

Mark :

New timing belt could be around £400 as it is about 4 hrs labour plus parts plus vat.

JACUSTOMER-ebxxu2bi- : I guess I was meaning if anything electrical needed doing, would it be expensive? Eg: if electric doors failed to open with remote or buttons.and needed fixing...
Mark :

It would depend on what caused the fault. Could be a simple wiring fault or sensor or a main motor.

JACUSTOMER-ebxxu2bi- : Ok.....Am I right in thinking that you change the cambelt every 60,000 miles?
Mark :

As I said at beginning, this car is at the end of its expected lifespan.

Mark :

There are two guideline depending on type of use.

Mark :

Hard use is changed earlier.

Mark :

But the mileage quoted would be average mileage for a 10 yr old car.

JACUSTOMER-ebxxu2bi- : They say cambelt was last changed at around 72,000
Mark :

100,000 miles or 10 yrs

Mark :

Do they have receipts to prove that.

JACUSTOMER-ebxxu2bi- : No, just ' cambelt 'is handwritten over one of the service stamps...is that how they do it?
Mark :

It could be but it would also be listed on the invoice. Writing cambelt on the page could have been written by me, how would you know?

Mark :

An invoice is better proof.

JACUSTOMER-ebxxu2bi- : That's true
Mark :

I would advise anyone buying a vehicle to replace the timing belt if there was no proof it had been replaced.

JACUSTOMER-ebxxu2bi- : That makes sense
Mark :

If the person selling the car has no proof then try haggle the price down to cover the price of the work.

JACUSTOMER-ebxxu2bi- : I guess they think the word cambelt over the stamp is prooof, but it isnt really...One other question, the rattling I thought I heard from under back of car....would that likely be an exhaust problems...
Mark :

It could be exhaust or suspension or even trim in rear of vehicle.

Mark :

Most rattles are more annoying than anything serious though.

Mark :

Please remember to rate my assistance.

Mark :

Mark.

Mark :

Do you need further information as you have not yet rated my assistance?