mike_a_mechanic
mike_a_mechanic, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Hi I have a 2008 peugeot 308 sport 1.6vti (120) which has

I have a 2008 peugeot 308 sport 1.6vti (120) which has developed an Idling problem on initial start up, which developes when slight revs are applied. When you remove the revs the idle speed drops and fluctuates with a popping (misfire??) sound from the engine bay and a strong smell of petrol. If you then turn off the engine and re-start everything is ok. On occasion when this has happened a depolution system fault is displayed on the central display and the engine warning light comes on. If you run the car down the motorway, this fsult disappears.
I have had the diagnostics unit on which displayed a misfire on 3&4. I have replaced the coils on 3&4 with no joy, I then replaced all 4 plugs (platinum type) still with no joy.
Please advise.
I look forward to your reply
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  mike_a_mechanic replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name isXXXXX will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.

From what you are describing the issue that you are having is consistent with electrically failing fuel injectors which normally don't show up on normal diagnostic. The vehicle needs to have a balance test performed on the cylinders which specifically test the fuel injectors and determines the bad ones.