Robert
Robert, Peugeot Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

hi, i have a start up grinding noise engine when my pgt is

Customer Question

hi, i have a start up grinding noise engine when my pgt is colt start, can u help
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

I asume this noise only emits from the belt side??

Apart from the t-belt has anything else been checked?

What model is the car and engine do you have exactly?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

pgt 407 model 2007 v6 2.9 lt petol timing belt been changed recenty, as i thought it is the problem, but noise is the same, as once u turn it on when cold noise come for 1or 2 sec and goes, turn it off then on again no noise at all

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

Ok..grinding "mechanically i would asume your hearing" can only really be one or two things either a mechanical problem engine wise,but prob unlikley if this noise doesnt happen all the time / starter motor or something driven off the auxillary belt - seeing as you had the T-belt changed the guide pulleys/tensioner aswell as water pump then you can pretty much rule all that - the key really to rule out each area would be to if all possible remove the belt auxillary that drives your alternator/ac compressor etc and then see when you come to start it if the noise still happens - if not say then you know where the problem is and you have to check each of those pulleys in turn for any faults - the other is possibly the starter may not be fully disengaged/sticking thus might be still partially contacting the flywheel when the engine catches thus you get the grinding for a moment - so if you can - check the starter pinion teeth aswell as within the oriface the starters sits to bell housing see what the teeth of the flywheel look like any damage etc..maybe try depresing the clutch and see if it still happens or not might rule out the fualt being there clutch wise/release bearing...as long as there is no evvidence of oil pressure issues that might suggest oil pump problem..then as above maybe check those out above.as you'll understand without hearing it can be fairly difficult.the key with faults like this is to monitor and listen lokking into the engine bay has it occurs to get a better insight as to location or dirrection of where the noise comes from so might be something to certainly try.I do hope this helps

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

this noise happens only when engine is cold, this is same noise with someone else on youtube been complaining about the same issue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRJzci7qvNA

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi.thanks for your reply..

Ok..Thats more of top end knock.rattle than grinding - usually thats quite typical of the variable valve timing problems these have on them..you'll see that on both Inlet camshafts or the pulleys as such and are controlled oil wise to alter advance/retard timing by inlet camshaft timing solnoids there are two obviously for each bank od cylinders and each pulley - so in a sense oil condition is paramount to ensure those do work..usually when cold this can occur when oil doesnt reach it,pressure wise or the pulley itself is at fault or worn..certainly check the valve solnoids for leaks oil wise can be quite common for these to do that,thus you can get a short delay in oil feed to that pulley thus causing the noise from the pulley itself