Robert
Robert, Peugeot Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

For the past couple of days my 205 sounds as if Im in the

For the past couple of days my 205 sounds as if I'm in the wrong gear, really slow and no real acceleration when changing up but the revs seem to be as normal. Hope this doesn't mean a new gearbox!
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

What engine size do you have exactly?

How does the engine perform or sound when sitting at idle/revving up etc.any of the same issues?

Is this in certain gears or just when you engage the clutch?

Any unusual noises from the gearbox or any hot/burning smells?

I asume this is a manual gearbox and not an automatic etc?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Its a 1360cc 205XS manual, The engine sounds find when idling and its not over revving. Have noticed this problem on the same run each day - quite hilly here so know which gear I should be in etc. but when I change up its as if the car is struggling and it takes a while for it to seem as if its running in the right gear. I haven't smelt any burning smells although there is a smell once parked up after a run but put this down to the newness of the alternator. Have also recently had the fanbelt adjusted (about 2 weeks ago),

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

Ok..If your 100% sure the engine sounds fine - ie:- starts up fine - no missfire - revs up ok and responds to throttle fine.to rule out intake restriction/fuel delivery issue.then by the sounds of it it could be something binding on and thus causing the engine to struggle in particular up hills etc if this is when the fault occurs more often - if the clutch still has good bite on it and still pulls well and isnt slipping/juddering then i can really see it being clutch - you can usually tell if a clutch is going by the pedal high or bite point is getting too high on the pedal - gears become hard to select since the clutch pressure plate failing / or generally lack of any speed from the car or missmatch of rpm in relation to the speed of the car for example high rpms but the cars speed struggles to keep up,and just wont respond on hills - There is test you can try - on a quite flat road put it in 4th lift the clutch slowly and try to pull away. The car should then really labour badly to the point of stall straight away completely. If it doesn't and pulls off slowly or rpm increases slowly without much labour on the engine, the clutch is worn going out..so then you have idea whats needs checked out - im not really sure on the gearbox idea especially so when this was mentioned 3 years ago you would of expected to see at least problems with it by now or even a few years ago if it was at fault - in any event to check that would involve removal anyway and posible strip down at cost - but maybe try a gearbox oil change on it and see if that improves anything..one other thing to check is for binding brakes this one of the brakes still holding on partically and this can in effect cause the vehicle to struggle aswell as produce a burning smell so again after a run check all the wheel and go over each wheel not touching it with your hand over each wheel to see if one hotter than the others or there is small of bruing coming from it if there is one binding or overheating brake draggin on then that could be your problem - so again something to have checked out - Also an alternator doesnt smell when new or be it you shouldnt smell anything from it all - if is producing a burning smell then you have problem either with the alternator itself "in which if new should still have manufacturer warranty on it if its faulty" /battery or charging circuit wiring - or the belts too tight - ceratinly ensure the belt with your fingers can be twisted at least/max 90degrees is acceptable..I do hope this helps..If you need to ask anything else or include anything further then just continue before you rate

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have taken all this on board lets hope its not the gearbox!! As my little banger is over 25 years and have had it since Day 1 I don't want the bill to be too high otherwise I can see other half telling me to call it a day. Thank you so much for this and weather permitting tomorrow will try out all your recommendations.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Robert - once again thanks for your help re my 205 unfortunately it was the most expensive scenario but you put my mind at rest because this was the top of your list of problems so felt quite happy having it confirmed by a garage over here. Keep up the good work.............