Robert
Robert, Peugeot Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

Hi. I HAVE NOTICED A BONG SOUND WHEN I HAVE TURNED THE IGNITION

Hi. I HAVE NOTICED A 'BONG' SOUND WHEN I HAVE TURNED THE IGNITION ON A COUPLE OF TIMES IN THE LAST FEW DAYS. IT DOESN'T HAPPEN EVERY TIME I START THE CAR, BUT I AM WORRIED THAT THERE IS A PROBLEM! (THERE IS NO WARNING ON THE DISPLAY). MY CAR IS A 206 HDI 1.6 DIESEL.
THANKS, XXXXX XXXXX APPRECIATE YOUR VIEW BEFORE I TAKE IT TO THE GARAGE.
LU.
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Does this only happen when you first use the vehicle?

And definitely no warning messages??

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It has happened this morning when i first used the car (turned the engine over), and i first noticed it two days ago, when i started the car. (on the first occasion, i turned the engine off for a minute, then on again as i didn't know what the sound was. It made the noise again, but didn't 2 hours later when i used the car again!)

I looked at the display, and didn't notice any warnings.

Previously, i have had anti-pollution fault on the display, but the garage said it may be because i was doing a lot of short trips!

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

Ok..Usually the first thing that would need to be checked would be the actual main battery on the vehicle..from experiance but its possible this could be whats at fault..in regards XXXXX XXXXX battery itself,cells going out or weak certainly when most of load or draw is at its greatest when the car is first turned over to operate the starter/glowplugs if required depending on outside temperature and thus obviously when the cars been used then the battery has been charged..so maybe have that checked out,load tested as a starting point anyway..maybe if you can ensure the terminals are secure and if there is an inpsection window on the top of the battery see what colour its reading.dont forget to check all the fluid levels/coolant/oil,brake etc aswell as check that all bulbs are working too..in regards XXXXX XXXXX in a sense short trips can often do that..being a diesel they do like long trips to get the engine upto temp and burn off any excess soot building up in the egr system/exhaust dpf if fitted etc..so maybe every so often take the vehicle on a good run and that should help keep the warning off..I do hope this helps