Mike, Peugeot Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

Hi I have a 57 platr 207 1, .4 sw peugeot. Just before

I have a 57 platr 207 1,
.4 sw peugeot. Just before Christmas some one hit a car that was park behind mine and that car hit in the back of mine . A note was also left on my car stating that my car hit into his, there is no seeable damage on the front. The insurance fix the back , but when they brough it back the engine lifgt was on and the car struggles to drive. I took it to peugeot snd a fault p0014 camr up they fix the problem but two week sfter I went and fill the tank with petrol and drove a few miles the engine light came on. Brought it back they said its the exhaust , fix that and now the car won't start if left over night unless i press the gas whilst turning the key and the engine light is on . Any suggestions as it would seem as though its just trial and error and not getting to the main root of the problem
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Im willing to wait for an answer , as I need an idea as to why the faults keep on appearing after you fix one.

Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

This is MIKE - Im sorry I did not get your question until now - I dont know why!

Anyway - can you tell me - do you have the engine light on now...? Or will the car not start at all at present ??

Rgds, MIKE...........................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes the engine light is on, the car does start but I have to press the gas and turn the key at the same time for it to start. There is also a noise coming from the engine when im driving.. ive take it to a mechanic for the fourth time on Tuesday and now he is saying it the pully that needed change.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again -

Thank you for your reply and further info - that is very helpful.... Im sorry though, I do need to ask more -

Can you please just clarify - is this a petrol or diesel? I know you refer to "gas" pedal - but I need to be sure.. Americans use the "gas" expression - I don't - ;) and it can be confusing - I am in the UK by the way.

Too - if you can give me the Full reg number - that will be helpful -

Did the mech say what pulley / which pulley he thinks needs changing?
Too - what mileage does the car have?

Last - is this a Peugeot specialist garage you are using?

Rgds - MIKE........................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Its a petrol

the mileage is around 40,000 something

Yes a peugeot specialist and im not sure which pulley, he did memtion something about the timing chain and belt if this helps. Sorry im in the uk as well

he also said the fault is permanent and I have to change the the pulley for thevlight to go off. Im bit concern about this as he said he have never done anything like this before on a Peugeot , it not common for them to have this fault, more common on Renault cars.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again -

Thank you for that info..

Ok - well, the usual pulleys that fail are either the alternator - or the main bottom pulley on the engine. The latter though is usually a diesel engine issue - but there is nothing to say any pulley on any rotating system cannot fail... So you will need to just go with him on that if he has diagnosed that ... Ask him to show you physically whats happening though - show you what he is seeing.. If one of the belt driven pulleys is faulty it can cause the Engine light to come on -though I would expect the battery light as well to at least be flickering...So ask him as above..

Too - if the engine light is on , that means there will be fault codes logged in the Ecu ( the cars management computer ) - he would need to extract the codes to see what the ecu is saying the area of fault is... I know you have had that done already - but it as to be done as an "up to date" test - so that you are working with a "current" -not historic fault code.

Going back to the original issue, the bang up the back.. that can cause baffle failure / collapse in the exhaust silencer and even the catalytic converter - even though that is up the front - a hard enough bang can and has been known to break the monolith in the cat - and hence, either way, they ( the monolith and / or the baffles ) may not have collapsed all at once - at the time but if they were damaged in the shunt- they can and will break over time - causing sufficient restriction in the exhaust to cause driveability issues such as you have - inc starting issues. So all that needs checking out...and then go from there.

Another common issue after a bang like that , is it can cause damage inside the tank- causing problems with the fuel flow / pick up and therefore pressure to the engine. The fuel pressure has to be within a certain spec for the engine to run right.... he needs then to test the fuel pressure - and go from there. Fuel tanks are not just a "bucket" - they are made up of compartments - if damage is caused to that in any way - or the in tank pump - you have your issues again -- so again, that is another issue to check / test as above. Too - ensure the fuel filter is replaced as a matter of course..

Working through as above Im sure you will get to the bottom of this - it does sound like he hasn't perhaps considered some or all of the above so you will need to perhaps tactfully mention all these issues - asking them to work through as a list -

Im sorry there is no , it will be this / that with this one - There are literally all these issues / probabilities that need working through in this situation.

Let me know how you get on - or by all means get back to me if you need anything else at all...

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

...Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.
Mike, Peugeot Technician
Experience: Tech Expert