Mark
Mark, Peugeot Certified Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified technician and MOT tester.
69494627

Got a 307 2.0 136 hdi 2004 have cleaned the egr valve, blanked

Got a 307 2.0 136 hdi 2004 have cleaned the egr valve, blanked / fooled the O2 sensors (but keeping them attached to cat and fap filter in order to maintain a running temperature) but also added a straight through 60mm pipe through the middle of the fap filter (obviously no filtering will be taking place), recirculated the eolys fluid (as let the ecu think this is still being added but never allowing system to run dry), this in order to save on costly bills ie cat fap eolys regeneration etc just would like to reset/ remap ecu now to think everything ok !
Is there anything else I could missing ?
Nigel
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Mark :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try help you with this.

Mark :

You seem to have covered everything. All you need now is to have the ecu remapped.

Mark :

However, your car will not pass an MOT test. Removing or bypassing the DPF is now classed illegal. You will also be committing VED fraud as you will be paying a lower tax than that required for a vehicle now producing more emissions.

Mark :

The MOT test now requires the tester to check the DPF for removal or modifications.

Customer:

Am I correct. In thinking that diesels have lower emission levels already, in previous years with a sub standard / poor quality high mileage vehicle the emission level could be corrected with a little kerosene added to the diesel , if there are no visible signs that the dpf has been tampered with and the emission level is ok , the only way of checking for modification would be to dismantle every dpf filter for every MoT test.

Customer:

Would this sort of check be possible for every MoT inpector to inspect for every vehicle MoT nationally ?

Customer:

Don't mean to come across the way I do but really can't afford garage bills for every small error that comes up on the dash when older cars get away with less problems.

Mark :

You are correct but emission legislation does not go backwords. This means that provided the vehicle meets the emission standard in place when it was built then it will pass a test.

Mark :

Did you read the article

Customer:

Will now 2 mins! Thanks

Mark :

I cant say for definite that every tester will carry out the test procedure correctly. All I am saying is if you modify your vehicle and get caught then you will be prosecuted and the car will fail.

Mark :

You can still take that chance.

Mark :

I might not agree with it but as a tester I would be obliged to enforce it.

Customer:

So if you saw the dpf in place and no signs of tampering would you remove it just to check ? If the emmissions were within required tolerance ?

Customer:

Ps still reading and digesting your link!

Mark :

No. But if the rules were to say that I also had to connect a scan tool to read the exhaust pressure and it had been over written then that would indicate it had been removed. I haven't read the full enforcement changes yet so don't know what tests they will be expecting to take place.

Mark :

You also have to consider other implications. Suppose your vehicle was in an accident (not even your fault) and it was to be written off. An insurance assessor might find the modifications and your mot would be invalid, have no insurance cover etc.

Mark :

A DPF is similar to a catalyst on a petrol vehicle and contain precious metals that are recovered. They are never scrapped.

Customer:

Have previously heard that motorists have notified insurance companies of modified vehicle , which seemed ok in the past, however I think this conversation is nearing conclusion, but one more question - if you were to check for exhaust pressure , would the installation of an extra baffle increase pressure?

Mark :

When I said read pressure it actually means pressure differential. A DPF has a sensor with 2 connections on it. One reads the pressure before the filter and one after the filter. It is this sensor that tells the ecu when the filter requires regeneration.

Mark :

Those motorists that have previously modified their cars are going to have to revert them back to standard for their next mot test.

Mark :

They will not be happy.

Mark :

Do you need anything else?

Customer:

It's been most helpful , got alot to think about now .

Mark :

Yes

Customer:

Thank you for your Help.

Mark :

No problem

Mark :

Please remember to rate my assistance

Mark :

Mark :

Mark