Mark
Mark, Peugeot Certified Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified technician and MOT tester.
69494627

I have a Peugeot Partner 1.4 petrol that lacks power,

I have a Peugeot Partner 1.4 petrol that not only lacks power, but will not rev beyond 3500 rpm when driving, and will barely top 60mph on a flat road. It is also only returning 30mpg - it's use is roughly 50% urban and 50% open roads.

I'm aware that this model is regarded as underpowered, however, I do think it should be able to reach the NSL and hold it's speed up the gentle inclines provided by Norfolk roads. :-)

Your help in improving this would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Steve
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Mark :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try help you with this.

Mark :

Can you tell me the year and current mileage.

Mark :

Has the timing belt ever been changed?

Customer: Hi Mark,
Customer: Hi Mark. It's a 2003 with 88000 miles on the clock. I bought it a few months ago and the receipts I have suggest that the timing belt was replaced at 69,000 miles on 28.06.2011
Mark :

The first thing to check is with a scan tool to see if any faults have been recorded. You can also look at the live data to see if all the sensors are reporting valid readings.

Mark :

For instance if the long term fuel trim was high then this is an indicator for your fuel consumption figure.

Mark :

Next would be a mechanical check of the engine. Check the engine compressions for each cylinder. See if any are lower that the others or if they are lower than expected.

Mark :

You should also have the brakes checked, a binding brake could cause higher consumption.

Mark :

If the revs are limited to 3500 rpm in every gear then that needs to be investigated. If it is only in top gear then that could be just because it is an under powered engine.

Customer: Brakes are fine. Will get the faults checked.now down to 3000rpm, unloaded.