Robert
Robert, Peugeot Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

can i charge the battery on my peugeot 308 diesel using a ctek

can i charge the battery on my peugeot 308 diesel using a ctek smart charger while still leaving it connected to the cars leads, without causing damage to the electrics
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Is this fully flat battery or are you just keeping it topped up?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it is very low, it turns the engine twice then stops

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

I shouldnt see it being an issue using a charger as such to bring the charge up in the battery to at least get it started so the alternator can take over..however best advice really if that battery is causing problem loosing charge etc then it would be worth having it replaced or at least checked out aswell as the cars charging system to ensure it is cahrging the battery properly..I do hope this helps

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi robert,

the main cause is that since retireing i dont use the car as much and mainly for short journeys.

but i will charge it up now and keep an eye on it, my main concern was with the cars electrics and leaving the leads connected, but the ctek site claims the charger is safe in protecting this

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there..

Ok..yes usually from what you say as per low use can have knock on effect with the battery thats no at all uncommon with the cars seldom used or used for short trips etc..but if a smart charger is to be used on the car to ensure the battery is kept topped up then i shouldnt see it being an issue.alot of people do use these on cars if the car is to be left for period of time rather then just unhook the battery - these smart chargers are desgined to monitor the charge state of the battery if it falls then the charger simply should just keep it topped up..same as your alternator would..I do hope this helps