Robert
Robert, Peugeot Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

why dose my partner van battery go flat after sanding for two

why dose my partner van battery go flat after sanding for two days battery is only two months old
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.
Hi..

Hopefully I can help..

If your battery is continually draining "in particular as a new one has been fitted" then you'll have what's termed as a parasitic battery drain - which is usually a component within the car drawing current from the battery whilst the ignitions off or the car is un used.. Seeing as you had the charging system checked out asper changing the alternator - aswell as i asume all earth points.ensuring the terminals are tight etc.then the next step really is track down which circuit is drawing current - When cars ignitions off is check all exterior lights "including number plate lights which are always missed out" and interior lamps , glove box "if any"/ cars not in use or locked or any other items plugged in make sure it disconnected also check on any aftermarket fitted accessories are properly wired in..After that's done - The only other test that can be done usually - is you will need to be checking the electrical draw the battery has on it when the car is locked up, with the key in the "off" position". and the doors locked wait 15 minutes roughly, then disconnect the battery cable on the negative/earth side. Attach a test light/ digital multimeter between the negative battery cable end and the negative battery terminal. The test light should illuminate extremely dimly or not at all. If the test light is on brightly or quite bright there is a sign there is an electrical draw in the system. To locate you will need to start removing and refitting fuses "one" at a time so you'll need to be careful which ones you pull so you'll need to refer to the manual each time or the lid and start of with the known ones first in particular as far as the fuse(s) and work your way through them and keep referring the the testlight/multimeter etc to see any change each time one fuse is pulled. if or which ever fuse is removed and the test light goes out or voltage drops on multimeter the circuit in question has been located . You will need to identify that pulled fuse and what it covers within the car and that should be where the parasitic drain is on that circuit either a faulty component or a wiring fault on that particular circuit which will need tracing and investigated carefully..It does take a bit of time to check all.but that's usually the next step on this one..if you don't have that sort of equipment then im sure any good garage or local auto electrician with their equipment should be able to trace it down..I do hope this helps..