Mark
Mark, Peugeot Certified Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified technician and MOT tester.
69494627

My Peugeot 407 Coupe weeps its power steering fluid.....Ive

My Peugeot 407 Coupe weeps its power steering fluid.....I've had it looked at and without I understand some stripping out the precise cause/culprit cannot be determined..hose or reservoir?...........BUT why bother...having purchased the correct p/s fluid and topped it up it [over some time] just makes a mess of the road...........and the steering works basically ok without topping up.......on a long straight run it snatches a bit when you first turn but after that no probs........Is it going to be really silly money to sort??
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Mark replied 2 years ago.

Mark :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try help you with this.

Mark :

You might find that when it comes to get the MOT done then depending on how bad it is, it could fail the test.

Mark :

Slight weeping is usually allowed but if it looks worse or can be seen to be dripping when tested it will fail.

Customer:

Hi Mark...has had 2 MOTs in my ownership and thus has not been an issue and don't anticipate it will be since the weep is just that....BUT if I wanted to have it tackled the otherpart of my question is it likely in your experience to be silly money to address

Mark :

The worst case scenario would be it needing a new rack and pipework.

Mark :

The time to replace the rack is about 4 hours depending on engine etc.

Mark :

You can probably add at least one hour if it were also getting the pipes done.

Customer:

its the 2.2 petrol......and a cracked reservoir?

Mark :

Prices for racks can vary between suppliers and also if new or recon.

Customer:

Sorry for my ignorance on this...so the rack contains the reservoir [where the fliud goes]

Mark :

No,

Mark :

The reservoir is a separate part but it could be built into the pump.

Mark :

It also has the connections for attaching the pipes so it could damaged threads causing the leak etc.

Mark :

What year is the car?

Customer:

So the reservoir will be a further cost although I'm unclear on the rack...if it is the reservoir then one does not do the rack?......I would have thought the rack was not a 'consummable' as such and would tend to last the life of the car..

Customer:

07 plate

Mark :

Racks do wear out, leak etc.

Mark :

If the reservoir is leaking then you would not need to replace the rack.

Customer:

OK.......I think I'm there......will chat with you shortly on the other question I posted

Mark :

Mark, Peugeot Certified Technician
Experience: Fully qualified technician and MOT tester.