Mark
Mark, Peugeot Certified Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified technician and MOT tester.
69494627

Hi, in order to save some money, my brother in law and I attempted

Hi, in order to save some money, my brother in law and I attempted to change the head gasket on my Peugeot 307sw 2.0 HDi 90 (DW10ATED engine). We also changed the water pump, tensioners and idlers and oil, air and fuel filters. When we attempt to start the car, it turns over but won't start. Not sure whereto start, but we are experiencing smoke from the air intake and think it may be something to do with the timing. can you help?

Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Mark :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try help you with this.

Mark :

What you need to do first of all is get the cylinder compressions checked.

Mark :

If there has been any error in the rebuild or the timing is not set correctly this will show up as poor compressions.

Customer:

Hi Mark, is it difficult to check the cylinder compressions?

Mark :

Not difficult but you do need a special tool.

Mark :

Customer:

Hi, just looked for a diesel compression kit (ebay £40).

Mark :

That's not bad.

Mark :

How many adaptors does it come with and does it match the size of your glowplugs?

Customer:

I presume that I am looking for specific values that will tell me whether I have good compression or not? Do you know these values?

Mark :

Yes

Mark :

What you need to know is the compression ratio for your engine and atmospheric pressure.

Mark :

Your engine is 18:1 and pressure is 14.7lbs at sea level

Mark :

That would give a compression figure of 264.6 lbs

Mark :

If you get around 240 to 280 then you have no problem.

Mark :

Any less than 240 could be a concern.

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX i have poor compression is it something that can be fixed (new pistons/valves, etc)? or do i perform a process of elimination?

Mark :

If you have low compression then most likely you will have to remove the head again and check the valves.

Mark :

If it is low but close then recheck the valve timing.

Customer:

Ok, for the timing do i need any special tools for the job?

Mark :

If the compressions are ok and the valve timing is ok then the next check is to recheck all your other work. Is everything fitted where it should be, is the wiring correct, does the fuel system need bled etc.

Mark :

What did you use the first time?

Mark :

Belt

Mark :

Chain

Mark :

Click on the above links

Customer:

We bled the fuel using a manual hand priming pump and we did notice air pockets in the system. For the timing, we followed the instructions provided in the manual and applied the lock pins in the correct position when removing the timing belt. When we attached the new belt, we performed a reverse of what we had previously done. We have a feeling that we may have tightened the belt too tight, can this be a problem?

Mark :

That can alter the timing a bit.

Mark :

I would have thought the engine would start though but might run a bit rough.

Mark :

Try using 'easy start' to see if the engine will at least start.

Customer:

Ok, thank you so much for your help, it gives us a better starting point (i have a busy weekend coming up). It's still on my mind that we may have a fuel problem, is there any advise you can give for this?

Mark :

If it starts with this and then cuts out then you have a fuel problem

Customer:

I'll give easy start a go.

Mark :

Ok

Mark :

Please remember to rate my assistance.

Mark :

Thanks and good luck.

Mark :

Mark

Customer:

Ok, will do. thanks

Mark :

Great

Mark, Peugeot Certified Technician
Experience: Fully qualified technician and MOT tester.