Robert
Robert, Peugeot Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

My dash lit up and said engine temp to high and a stop sign

My dash lit up and said engine temp to high and a stop sign in big red letters came on , I got home ok, left it overnight went out this morning and as soon as I turned the ignition on the temp gauge went straight to max and red stop sign came on again when I turned engine of the fan kicked in for two mins , I have checked radiator no leeks and coolant and oil is at max .
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

What model Peugeot / engine size / year - do you have?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

308cc 1600cc. 59 plate
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply

Ok.if the car was "actually" overheating then coolant in the tank would be boiling or rumbling or in some case will force it way out if it where headgasket problems usually caused by either a problem with the coolant system in regards XXXXX XXXXX failed thermostat/water pump.. By the sounds of your fault I don't think you have whats termed as common overheating issue as above,but that could be verified by using heat sensing gun - if the temp registers overheating as soon as the key is turned or basically on cold engine - there is chance this is more of an electrical fault ie:- temperature sender unit fault giving/sending out incorrect readings which in turns makes out the engine is overheating "which it isn't really" and thus kicks the fan in .they would need to test for that.so as above if thats whats happening and doesnt happen once the engines upto temp etc certainly try that sensor it will be usually located on the thermostat housing with a green plug body..sometimes you can point a heat sensing gun like mentioned before at the engine cylinderhead and see if the temp reading on that matches what it currently saying on the dash or when plugged upto a diagnostic machine..if the temp is incorrect then it most likely a temp sender issue.I do hope this help