Robert
Robert, Peugeot Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

i have a peugeot boxer, i noticed that when i accelerated i

i have a peugeot boxer, i noticed that when i accelerated i could here a sound like it was sucking in air i started to loose power,i looked underneath and saw a lot of fumes coming out of the joint where the cat joins manifold, the clamp was loose so i tightened it when i started the van the power loss had got worse and there is hardly any fumes coming from exhaust engine wont idle for long and there is no power.
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

By your description of events in regards XXXXX XXXXX no exhaust fumes at all from the tail pipe would suggest you have blockage in the exhaust system..usually the cat would likely cause this if it broken up inside - this would cause alot of back pressure on the engine and thus you would get a marked ruduction in power..too the exhaust fumes would of found a weak part in the system thus the where you tightened the clamp..The best course of action ideally would be to disconnect parts of the system usually starting up front before the cat converter,support,tie the system up,mild steel wire to bend and to temp hook the system.or remove the whole lot etc..and then run the van around for a short moment and see if power is restored..if it has then youll know the system is blocked from the disconnected section back..Like i say by the sounds of your description its certainly sound like theres a restriction in the exhaust system..I do hope this helps

Robert, Peugeot Technician
Experience: Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK