Mark
Mark, Peugeot Certified Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified technician and MOT tester.
69494627

Hi my 2009 Peugeot 308 has a noise from the nearside front

Hi my 2009 Peugeot 308 has a noise from the nearside front wheel similar to bearing noise but no play in wheel and spins free and quiet when jacked up, I have tried the other wheel in case the sound was traveling but it spins free and quiet to the car is a 1.6 hdi 110 hp and has done 74000 mls. can you advise me please.
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Mark :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try help you with this.

Mark :

What speed do you hear this noise?

Customer:

It starts in first gear and gets louder as speed builds up it seems to be coming from the inner end of the nearside driveshaft at the dif end Ihave just ran it on stands .

Mark :

Sounds like it could be a diff bearing.

Mark :

Try jacking up just one side and running it to see if you can pinpoint it a bit more accurately.

Mark :

Also try running it up and then take it out of gear and freewheel to see if it changes sound.

Customer:

ok think your right it just the same in free wheel . Can this be done in place ?

Mark :

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think so.

Customer:

ok thanks

Mark :

Please remember to rate my assistance.

Mark :

Mark :

Mark.