Robert
Robert, Peugeot Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

de pollution system fault appearse on my screen with the engine

Customer Question

de pollution system fault appearse on my screen with the engine block illuminated on the fault panel,what does this mean
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully I can help..

The De pollution fault warning on these cars is "generic emissions fault message" on these models and usually comes up if the ECU / emissions control system has detected a problem - although this can cover a fairly wide area of possible faults.and would generally make it impossible at this stage to give an exact or possible location of where your fault is especially since the car seems to be running without any noticeable performance issues I would assume.as it could be as a simple as failing sensor which the ecu is picking up on/exhaust system lambda sensor "maybe more then likely" or cat converter failing in which an emissions test would confirm/EGR valve or ignition system problem / air induction system fault / fuel injection problem etc.these cars can be quite sensitive to emissions faults..You can try adding a higher octane unleaded fuel than what your currently using already or fuel additive which you add to your tank after fill up and see if the light does go out sometimes that can work especially if it hasn't been used for a while....However the only real way you will know exactly why the light has come on is to have the cars ECU fault memory accessed to retrieve the relevant fualt code stored using a suitable diagnostic machine which would no doubt have to be done to verify the fault via the retrieved fault codes and should give you/us/garage concerned a better idea where to start and check further..so as above the diagnostic route would maybe the best way forward first and see whats found during the test and take it from there ....I do hope this helps..if you need to ask anything else or include anything further then just continue before you rate

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

does this mean i have to take it to a peugeot dealer to have it chequed out

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

No there is no requirement to take it to the dealer especially if its an older vehicle and not under warranty as such.Dealer is pretty much a last resort if the fault is very complex one that requires their diagnostic equipment to deal with it.But any good well equiped garage should be able to retrive the faults codes to work with to solve this issue.maybe the one you use for MOT.as most high end upto date diagnostic machines now can do pretty much near dealer level anyway..I do hope this helps