Robert
Robert, Peugeot Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

my Peugeot 206 1.4 auto year 2000 x reg, only done 29000, when

my Peugeot 206 1.4 auto year 2000 x reg, only done 29000, when cruising up to round about or traffic lights, on anytime I take my foot off pedal, goes pop pop then bang, mis fires. what causes this and can I fix it
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Where exactly does this popping come from the exhaust or the intake airfilter box?

Any management lights come up since this occured?

Whats its service history like?

What exactly was the reason for the ecu replacement?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi , sorry hasn't had an ecu, it had a coil pack,spark plugs, fuel filters, catalystic converter,lambda sensor, for the mot in December, then I bought it January.

the popping sounds seems loudest when passenger window is open, maybe under the engine.

no lights have every come on the dash.

the car was owned by an elderly lady hence only 29000 on clock, she regulary paid to have it serviced, the full hit.

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply.

Ok any popping or backfiring within the exhaust system is usually a sign that unburnt fuel is entering the system hot manifold and combusting and this is what hear when the petrol ignites..its possible this problem/popping is within the cat itself which will quickly destroy it over time due to constant fuel burning up in there..you either have air - fuel ratio issue and that would need to be investigated diagnostically or via live data to get further forward - either cause by fault sparkplugs or cheap plugs/ intake manifold leaks.restricted airfilter / or bad injector(s)..first checks would be to inspect the joints at the exhaust system to ensure they are sealed especailly both ends of the catalyst...

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi, car gone to a friend who works in a garage he going to have a look at injectors, he too thinks it is a fuel problem, thanks very much for your help