Robert
Robert, Peugeot Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

My Bipper can belches out a lot of blue smoke on start up and

Customer Question

My Bipper can belches out a lot of blue smoke on start up and smells. This gets better as the van warms up but the choking oily smell doesn't completely go away.
Once warm it runs smoothly, doesn't push out smoke as much and performance/fuel consumption just fine.
Has done approx 80,000 on an 09 plate.
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..sorry for the delay..

Hopefully i can help..

Blue smoke is usually an indication the engine is consuming oil or burning it off and hence you get the blue smoke out the back..So check to see what level the oil is at the moment - if its gone down then that's an indication as above your using oil - one area to check first would be the Turbo unit/inter cooler/intake hoses for any traces of oil as failing turbo unit or turbo seals which internal on the unit itself can cause oil to be ingested during the induction cycle so its dragging/sucking oil in via the failing turbo seals and thus gets burnt off - if the turbo is at fault then that to can cause a lack in pulling power too/if its loud in operation then check the turbo vane shaft for any excess movement - if there is then turbo has gone im afraid aswell as any excess oil residue in there.also check the egr valve to aswell.so that's one area to inspect fully so you need to remove hoses to that.. another could be internal wear either failed either worn valve stem seals of piston oil rings or even just engine breather problems,and maybe of an contributory factor.so again those would need to be ruled out.but as above id check the turbo /inter cooler system first and see if there is any excess amounts of oil in there.as it should bone relatively dry,but a small amount of oil mist is normal ..i do hope this helps

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've this reply before which is a copy. The oil level is fine. It does not appear to be burning oil.

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..thanks for your reply..

You havent asked that question before as per your account..so not sure why you would think thats a copy if it was then it was probably me that wrote it in the first place anyway...the answer is the same blue smoke is usually an indication of oil usage or oil is finding its way into the engine cylinders and being burnt off and this is why you get the blue smoke out the back..if it at start up then i means that oil is pooling inside the cylinders possibily failed stem seal..and thus when you come to start it then that oil gets burnt off = blue smoke over fuelling of diesel as such would case a white/grey dense smoke and raw diesel smell from the exhaust to suggest an over fuelling issue....you havent mentioned wither those areas above have been checked carefully apart from injectors and a service "which i may add you would likely see any change in oil level yet depending on the severity of the usuage"..and oil consumption test would possibly highlight that..has glowplugs been checked.might be something else to include in the checks above..