Robert
Robert, Peugeot Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I am looking at buying a second hand 206 1.1 sport 3d (DAC+CC)

I am looking at buying a second hand 206 1.1 sport 3d (DAC+CC) with 54000 miles can you tell me what I should look out for when viewing the car.

James
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Firstly like viewing any other car you want to be checking "all" fluids..including oil condition/under oil cap for sludge,sure sign of lack of servicing or headgasket issues - coolant "its condition" - brake fluid - also you want to be checking absolutely everything electrical wise inside the car..206's can tend to have problem with comms units that the stalks are attached ..so ensure everything works inside the car inc luding central locking wipers.rear wiper/washers etc..also inspect warning lights and ensure they do go out when the engine is finally started especially engine management being the obvious one to monitor and especially so airbag/srs..again they can have problems with these...feel for loose gearchange or the gearstick feeling loose to engage often they can have problems with the bushings on that linkage to gearbox so if its tight and feels ok then it should be fine..also when engine running listen under the bonnet for any unusal noises/missfiring etc..if you can or not - check the coil pack and see if its been changed over to the bougicord electrofil coil pack as stamped on it - if its still the old Sagem one then you may have issues down the line with that bear that in mind...on test drive monitior temp guage aswell as check clutch performance and ensure it has good bite and isnt slipping under load or hill climb or taking off etc..so give it good test drive..aswell as that listen out fornay knocking suspension wise 206's are common for suspension wear problems especially so with front wishbones/balljoints aswell as drop links being a favorite..also listen for back end knocking a sure sign of axle beam wear on the trailing arms,bearings you can check for movement by grabbing the top of the tyre and give a good shake whislt somebody monitiors the trailing arm bearing where it meets the axle beam..any movement there will require renewal....next really would be service documentation aswell as timing belt renewal as this tend to be around the 70,000miles when you should have that changed timing belt wise..apart from that they are good little run about and the engines/gearbox mechanically speaking are pretty good...I do hope this helps..if you need to ask anything else or include anything further then just continue before you rate

Robert, Peugeot Technician
Experience: Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK