Robert, Peugeot Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK

Have Peugeot 307 SW SE it has been a fantastic family car until

Customer Question

Have Peugeot 307 SW SE it has been a fantastic family car until recently when we have had one fault warning after another. The latest is a ESP/ESR and ABS warning. Most annoyingly it has been into main dealer to be told nothing wrong and no fault warning when test drove it. This I find incredibly hard to believe as it makes a concerning grating noise when you brake and isn't very responsive until the warning is triggered then it brakes fine. Peugeot are adamant that the car is safe to drive and this isn't anything to worry about- I am not convinced!!!
Please can anyone advise.
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there...I see your question is still live..just wondered if still required assistance?

If you feel any kick back on the pedal itself?

Have they actually visually inspected the brakes as such too? or just plugged it in?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Before the warning triggers there is a little kick back...

It was just plugged into a diagnostic...

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your responce..

Ok..The reason the problem persisits until the warning is triggered is that i basically reverts back to "non-abs assisted" so the abs isnt working when the warnings are up on the screen/instrument panel - but the hydraulic side is still very much working just means there will be no anti locking braking if in the event of emergancy braking isnt really a major issue at this point,but i do agree the car should be driven any extented journey in this condition aswell as it being an mot failure now...Im not entirely sure why they can get codes from the abs system itself..You dont say wither this is tested with the warnings on or off..if off then nothing will likely be found as opposed to it being on and up on the screen..if at any point the warnings are displayed then fault codes should be present!..i would say the main areas to maybe inspect on a visual bases would be the abs sensors on each hub,that includes checks front and back sensors as too wiring damage/aswell as the target rings the sensors read on each hub for excess corrosion/or parts of the target ring missing..aswell as too the main harness multiplug to abs module and assosciated relays/fuses within the main fuse panel for water ingress..also inspect the brake lights switch,have come across a few of them cause similar problems being intermittent..a new switch usually solves it.might not be in your case but worth checking out and ensure the brake lights do work.also as an added measure ensure your tyres are properly set at the correct psi aswell as size!..what you have to avoid is replacing things as you refer to by a process of elimination as that could prove very expensive if the parts you replace arent at fault.thats why at any point these warnings do appear,done it myself many times then diagnostic or live data test should reveal where exactly that fault is on the abs system as both esp/esr is tied into that system..I do hope this helps..if you need to ask anything else or include anything further then just continue before you rate