Nathan B
Nathan B, Mechanic
Experience:  20+ years experience working on a wide range of vehicles both as an employee and also running my own garage
27720961

Hello,05 407 2.0 diesel saloon.

Customer Question

Hello, I've a 05 407 2.0 diesel saloon. Several weeks ago, after a long run, if I stopped for about 20 minutes and then restarted the car it kept stalling. I tried to keep the revs up using the accelerator pedal but I could feel the engine trying to shut down.If it stalled then I had to leave it for several hours before it would restart. This problem got more frequent and I took it to my Peugeot dealer for a diagnostic. They said it needed a new ECU and EGR valve costing £1800!. The next day the car went through the stalling routine again. After attempts to keep the car going the starter motor stopped turning over, I rang the Peugeot garage and they said that it sounded like my ECU had failed altogether. I managed to tow the car to the local garage I use and made the decision to send the old ECU to a company who return a re-con one which has been programmed using your original. This 'new' one has been fitted but the engine will still not turn over using the key. The mechanic tried the old trick of applying power direct to the starter motor and it turned over and fired up the engine but stalled after about 8 seconds (similar to what was happening before). Is there something that could be preventing the engine turn over on the key, faulty wire / fuse /BCR aside from possibly the ECU still not being right? Are all the issues connected or could the starter problem be a different issue. The mechanic has hit a wall with this so any help would be appreciated, regards Peter.

Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Hello Peter,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Although it's taken this long to hear back, I do still require an answer to my query.

Hello Peter,
Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
However, should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.