Robert
Robert, Peugeot Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I have a Peugeot 206 bought last year with 39,000 on the clock

I have a Peugeot 206 bought last year with 39,000 on the clock - it constantly smells of slight burning after every trip - the temperature gauge reads normal - it may have been over filled with oil when I got it, but the display just showed that it was filled to max - it didn't flash which would have indicated over-fill.
Anyway after a few months I got 1/2 a litre of oil drained out of it. It still smells and the oil receptacle and various other bits of engine are massively hot even after arelatively short journey.
The water bottle is filled to the correct amount -
Any thoughts?
Angela
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

What engine does the car have exactly?

Do the main fans on the radiator still kick in / do you still get good heat into the car from the heater?

Have you noticed any leaks appear from under the car at any point?

At the moment does the engine seem to perform well be it starting up/driving etc

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The car is a 206 Verve 3 door hatchback petrol driven car.

The engine is 1360 CC.

I shall check the radiator fans - yes car get good heat from the heaters.

I haven't seen any leaks

The engine starts up very efficiently and drives well.

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your responce..

Ok..I do note you do say you had 1/2 drained out the oil - usually if that was the case of an overfill i would of advised at least having the whole lot drained out and the oil refilled back up to the proper level.that maybe something to think about depending on the quaility of oil in there..if the oils very black then i would maybe try that as a suggestion anyway including the filter..and then see how that goes..obviously by your description of events the engine doesnt appear to be overheating which would mean the engine isnt overheating as such..if it was then that needle would likely be way up into the red area aswell as bubbling from the expansion tank or steam or loss of coolant even depending on the nature of the fault..how quickly it gets upto temp you dont say..if fairly quickly then i would be looking a possible thermostat issue or engine temp sensor fault..over fuelling issue problem which in turn unburnt fuel could be creating a problem within the cat converter melting the insides and creating a slight back pressure which in turn can often cause the engine to become running hotter then it should be since the exhaust isnt getting a sufficent free flow through it..i would certainly inspect the engine anyway for any leaks etc that maybe reaching hot areas on the engine and creating the smell you describe..check the main fans can still be easily turned by hand..if not and is stuck or stiff to spin then the fans done and needs replaced..but as above maybe try the oil change aswell as those other checks...I do hope this helps..if you need to ask anything else or include anything further then jsut continue before you rate

Robert, Peugeot Technician
Experience: Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK