Mike
Mike, Peugeot Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Hi,I have a 1992 peugeot 205 gti 1.9 that is smoking (blue

Hi,I have a 1992 peugeot 205 gti 1.9 that is smoking (blue smoke) a bit. There is also some oil leaking on to the top of the exhaust manifold does this sound like a big repair job?
Thanks Steve
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello Steve,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi,I would like to continue waiting for a reply .
Hello Steve,
Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
However, should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help -

Just before we progress - can I ask what mileage the car has?

Rgds, MIKE............................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi mike it has 105,000 miles
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello!
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Steve..

Just to explain - when I sent the info request, it was nearly 4 days before you replied - in that time, your question "timed out" - closed... hence, I did not receive your reply.

Im sorry about that - thats the way the site works, to save unnecessary use of bandwidth with stacks of closed / out of date / unwanted questions -so I hope that explains what happened for you..

Now - now we are live again... Your Peugeot at that mileage, it wouldn't be abnormal for it to be using a bit / some engine oil - this is usually indicated by blue smoke from the exhaust.
The leak that you have - you will have to trace the root cause of that - that could be your rocker cover gasket which is not a big job at all - just a new gasket.. These did tend to suffer with head gasket weeping oil out though sometimes - if it is that , thats a considerable task... and most people wouldn't actually do it - unless it was a serious leak.

On the subject again of the burning oil / the blue smoke - to cure that properly, that is a major task - thats an engine complete strip down -and then internal inspection of the pistons and bores etc. It could be that just a new set of piston rings / inc oil control rings would cure it - be enough.. if there is not a lot of wear... Either way though - that is a big job - Cost wise you would have to price the work locally - I cant say what the costs would be as garages charge different rates all over the UK - even locally. So I would suggest to get several prices for the job before making any decisions....

Im very pleased to have helped you - Do let me know if you need anything more --

*** Meanwhile - - >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.
Mike, Peugeot Technician
Experience: Tech Expert