Robert
Robert, Peugeot Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

Hi, I have a peugeot 206cc petrol. I recently had a problem

Hi, I have a peugeot 206cc petrol. I recently had a problem with my power steering leaking, the pipe and then my steering rack was replaced but since then, a whining noise has appeared especially when accelerating. It is now really, quite loud. I have taken it back to the garage and they say it is something to do with the power steering pump, and is a common problem with the peugeots. I have had a fan belt replaced but this has not solved the problem. Can you help please?
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

First off you'll need to check the actual fluid level currently in the power steering reservoir just to be sure the level hasnt dropped again..often if the level is left to drop or the ps fluid was left to run dry this can have a knock on effect with the pump internally..thus it will either clatter or whine as you describe when the engines running..I wouldnt say it would be something to ignore as the pump is the primary component to ensure your power steering works..the only option really is to replace the pump itself..this can be either done with new one or as most people generally opt for a secondhand unit from either a breakers yard or online such as ebay etc..If they have diagnosed the source or the noise from the pump then im afraid the only way to remedy the fault is to replace the pump..I do hope this helps..If you need to ask anything else or include anything further then just continue before you rate

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your help. The fluid is at correct level, but still making the noise when stationary. The sound appears to be coming from the belt area.

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your responce..

If the noise appears to be from the pump which is part of your reservior too..which you note has the red steering wheel sticker on it..thenits likely the pump has suffered some sort of damage internally due to loss of fluid from the previous issue..this is all based on the the fact the nopise wasnt there before hand and has started just after this fault..An easy way to tell is to remove the belt you had put on that runs the pump and the start the engine up..if the noise has stopped then you'll know its one of the assesories driven off that belt that the cause for your problem..it may not be the pump..could be either the alternator/belt tensioner/air con compressor if fitted..its really a case of listening and narrowing down the source of the nosie something you may want to check yourself if prefered..I do hope this helps further..