Robert
Robert, Peugeot Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

How do I tighten the spare tire winch and lock it after

How do I tighten the spare tire winch and lock it after removal and replacement of the tire?

307-SW-2008

Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Does the winch actually tighten when the tyre is fully lifted?

Have you ensured the tyre is straight and properly aligned for lifting?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The winch lifts the tyre from the ground up against the undercarriage, straight and alligned.. If I let go of the wrench, it spins back, the cable runs back out and the tyre descends.

If I hold the tyre up, I can remove the wrench and return plastic locking cap, and the cable is locked; but there enough slack in the cable that the tyre is not tight against the undercarriage.

Once the tyre is up, using the wrench and winch , can I use more force to tighten, will that help, or risk breaking something?

Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your responce..

Ok..These tyre winch assemblies arent unknown for causing issues so is quite a comon fail point..in which in some cases either doesnt winch up or can jam not allowing the tyre to drop down / snapped cables or in some cases has been known to just drop without warning..the problem usually is down to the mechanism that cable is wound in that becomes faulty..Try not to prevent pulling the cable tight when lowering the spare tyre sometimes this can if you dont do that can chew/twist the cable within the wind mechanisim..thus it will wind up but only so far..not fully locking...the desgin is pretty flawed and have replaced a fair few..not just the 307sw uses these - and the only way forward other then actually taking the winch apart is to replace entire unit..which alot of people end up having to carry out..so bear that in mind.... you can try lowering it as far as it will go again..then try lifting the tyre back up till as far as it will go - and see if that helps..failing that im afraid it will likly have to be another winch assembly fitted as the problems likely to be within the winch mechansism as mentioned above if your sure you are lining it up and fitting to the spare for lifting properly the cable i mean..in the mean time storing the spare in the boot and tie up the end cable to the underside with a cable tie can be carried out..but as above that about the only way forward with these..I do hope this helps..if you require to ask anything further then please do so before you rate

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How is it suppose to work normaly? As you wind it up is there a clutch or ratchet to keep it from unwinding from the weight of the tyre?

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there..

the steel cable you see - bit like bike cable is actually wound on the winch track inside the winch housing mechanisim which is part of the nut that you use wihtin the boot under that small flap to wind the cable free to release the spare and to wind the cable back in to lift the spare tyre back up..once its tight then it should lock/hold in place..it like cog arrangment inside that winds the cable reel..as as above alot of time the cable can get chewed up/twist up..like i say normally you can take them apart and see whats going on with the cable..or in some cases replacement...

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the explanation. I will try to run the cable all the way out and then back in to see if the cog catches. If that doesn't work I will try to take the winch unit off and open it; the problem there is if you need to remove the exhaust and heat shield to get at the last bolt. All this tomorrow , because it is almost midnight here. I will be in touch then. Meanwhile thanks.

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.
Hi..there..no problem..if you require to ask anything further then just continue after this post
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, Problem solved. I ran the cable out all the way and found that it can wind back either clockwise or counterclockwise. Clockwise is correct and the tyre does not fall back. Counter clockwise gives the problem I had.

When I first removed the tyre I had also ran the cable out all the way, but had not noticed that I wound it back the same direction at the end.

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your responce..

I see - well main thing is it sorted.. but if you ever need to ask anything else or advice as such then just anytime and id be happy to help..best of luck

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Rating me bad service for what exactly?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

In spite of the rating I would like to pay you for your time. You answered politely and promptly (although not so clearly). I rated 'bad service' because you did not know the answer that I was paying for. Also I was frustrated when you recommended that I replace the mechanism and then I was offended after I saw that it wasn't even broken.

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Yes,but as you'll understand i can only go by your description of events.i was never to know your winching the wrong way unless you told me what direction you where doing it in to get the tyre up,the handbook details this on the operation which I assumed you had looked into? - But through experiance of changing these - they are very common for problems and yours did match issues that have been seen to be an internal "fail" with them which would result in renewal but i did say that these can be taken apart to verfiy.so i never recommended to simply replacing it without checking first...However i appreciate you are willing to change the rating..for the time at least..you can change the previous answer or simply rate this one..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My manual must be translated from English/French poorly. In general it is better to try/recomend the simple solution before the complicated one. I guess this online peugeout service was the complicated solution in this case.