Robert, Peugeot Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK

Robert. I have a 2008 Peugeot 308. a year now,

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Peugeot 308. a year now, I have had problems with an intermittent loss of power when I'm driving along. It has had the brake sensor replaced which sorted it while. It went again a few months ago and has had all filters checked/replaced and there aren't any faults being shown. It was serviced two weeks ago and went OK again until last weekend, when the power went again. Do you know what this may be? I do have a problem with the comms unit, where the back window will randomly wash itself when I'm driving along. Could this other issue be caused by this unit? Thanks
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

What engine / fuel type do you have exactly?

When this problem occurs - does anything come up on the dash/message screen at all?

Brake sensor? i asume you mean the brake/light pedal sensor was replaced?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My car is a petrol 1.6 HDi.

There are no messages coming up on the dashboard at all.

Yes, I think it was the brake/pedal sensor. Basically, the sensor was telling the car that the brake was still on, so it wasn't accelerating properly.

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

..there thanks reply.. far as the comms unit goes thats just behind your steering wheel or what your indicators/wipers arms are part off..and all controls/signals are followed through that and between the cars bsi unit..normally that shouldnt cause a power loss issue with the car im not sure thats your problem there bar what you saying with the back wiper.... as far as engine goes there is no 1.6 petrol hdi.. Hdi's are diesel engines as far a power loss goes with them normally it can be fuel filter related,EGR valve system related.due to carbon build say fitting genuine filter would likely help solve that maybe..unless the problems on the fuel system/pump itself in which has to be monitored diagnostically as far as the high pressure side goes..but they can check the low pressure side feed to the filter with a pressure guage to ensure the intank pump isnt on its way out.they should also fully inspect all fuel lines /leak off lines/connections..quite expensive if that the case if swarf is getting into the fuel system due to failing pump..If a petrol 1.6..then id maybe look at lambda sensors ..normally id get it on a live data diagnostic and somebody who knows what to look for..would likely narrow it down .... as far as the brake switch goes..then normally these dont go faulty.but they do infact get monitored by the ecu when and during braking this in turns tells the ecu to cut the fuel..was the switch a genuine fitment..if not then it maybe worth looking at that again..I do hope this helps..if you require to ask anything further then please continue before you rate

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

. Sorry it's a petrol 1.6 THP

The garage did get a fault up with the brake sensor thing (not sure exactly what it was), which would have been the original part from when the car was made, so was a genuine part.

When the car is plugged into the diagnostics, no faults are being reported.

What is the ECU? Could something in there be causing a problem?

I noted on another forum that someone was having a problem with power which was down to the catalytic converter. Is this worth a look?

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Yes well plugging in to see if codes are present is one thing.if no codes are stored then they wont get much..but doing live readings testing instead is another....the ECU is basically cars brain and controls.monitors all engine sensors & functions..ignition/fueling/emissions/monitors timing etc.. so if a fault was within the ecu then i suspect it would of been found out by now..if this a dealer the cars at..and it wouldnt be intermittent as such either...being intermittent as i highlighted above the lambda sensors would be maybe be worth having tested or monitored.and these are at both sides of the cat converter so any fault on that would likely have knock on effect with them as far as the downstream sensor looking at the live readings from them diagnostically..they could also check with a digital infra red thermometer to check cat performance or on emissions tester machine..