Nathan B
Nathan B, Mechanic
Experience:  20+ years experience working on a wide range of vehicles both as an employee and also running my own garage
27720961

Mark - changing the timing belt on a 2003 Peugeot 307 1.6

Customer Question

Hi Mark - changing the timing belt on a 2003 Peugeot 307 1.6 petrol is driving me mad! The problem is finding the hole to put the 6mm locking bar through into the flywheel. I've looked at the photo in the Haynes manual, watched a video on YouTube, even unscrewed the oil filter housing to get a better view. I can't see the hole! What lunatic designer placed such a vital service feature in such an obscure place? Any tip / photo v welcome ... best, ***** *****y

UPDATE: by detaching the oil filter housing I've got a better look at the block-to-flywheel-housing flange.  There's a smaller than 6mm hole (abt 5 mm) but that leads to the flywheel teeth, not a locking hole.  Beside it there's a plastic blanking plug about 12mm dia; removing it I can feel the flywheel and edge of the starter ring, but again no locking hole.  I'm beginning to suspect the crank locking holes are on a completely different part of the block.

Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Shantal - still stuck! Please keep looking, somebody must know. Best, Mike