Robert
Robert, Peugeot Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I have a peugeot 308 turbo recently bought second hand.after

Customer Question

i have a peugeot 308 turbo recently bought second hand.after a hefty bill servicing it i stiil had a low coolant level coming out n the mechanics at peugeot changed one of the hose.thenafter 4 weeks engine oil level low warning came on.after adding the engine oil 2 weeks after again the coolant level low warning came on.topup the coolant with water n 1 week layer the same warning came on.this time there is oil sludge in the coolant container.please help.
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..there apoligies for the delay..

Had you had any issues with overheating or general engine running problems.ie:- missfiring etc?

Had you noticed any leaks from under that car at all..when cold or after a run?

Can you provide the full VIN number "vehicle identification number"

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i am in malaysia and am not sure of vin.my car number is ***** 9308.

i did not note any overheating or leakage.dont have problem with the engine.just sludge in coolant tank and persistent low coolant leveldespite change of hose at peugeot service centre here

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..there..thanks for your reply..

Normally the VIN number is ***** below the bottm corner windscreen/dashboard - however if there is engine oil in the coolant expansion tank..then the only way oil can get into that provided it is engine oil "check level" then you either have a failed - oil cooler if fitted..usually its part of the oil filter housing in which you'll see a chamber as part of the housing where you'll see two coolant hoses going to and from or a headgasket fault - have they pressure tested the coolant system just incase there is actually leak of sorts or a combustion leak test,compression test on each cylinder?..both tests should reveal otherwise...but as you describe and this is without knowing the full vin number to see what engine you have exactly - id be more inclined to be looking at the oil cooler or replace even..after which you need to ensure the entire coolant system is flushed out of oil contamination you need a few of the coolant system flush addtives run through it a few times to make sure all but most of contaminated coolant/oil is clear..if after you have had the oil cooler replaced..and engine oil is still getting into the coolant then it likely the headgasket has failed..I do hope this helps