Robert
Robert, Peugeot Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I am interested in a Peugeot 1.6 hdi diesel 10 plate a lovely

I am interested in a Peugeot 1.6 hdi diesel 10 plate a lovely 1 lady owner car with 41,000 k I do about 16 short 2 mile trips a week how often do I need to give it a long run to clear the dpf and how long a run does it need or do I forget about the car.
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there..

Generally if you are currently doing less than 10,000miles a year for example - then your are better off actually running a petrol engine..Diesel engine as they are nowadays are pretty economical "but" only if your doing long journeys motorways as such/commuting alot will you see this - as this constant use also to helps regenerate the DPF "diesel particulate filter" ..hence why alot of diesels which are generally used on very short journeys/trips each day tend to in some cases have problems with these since the engine isn't getting long enough or hot enough even to be able self generate which car performs itself to keep the filter clear and burn off that soot,low ash oil too has to be used to help reduce that too - although it is still possible to buy it if prefered but you would require at least perform high speed runs each fortnight/monthly long motorway run this requires driving on a motorway/dual carriageway..clear stretch of road for upto 25-30miles in 4th gear..keeping the revs up helps bring the temperature of the dpf up to is desired temp to burn the soot off - if not they tend to need to be force regenerated or replaced at huge cost...i do hope this helps..

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Robert, I do a run of about 26 miles once a week is this enough to clear the dpf and is there a warning light comes on if the filter is getting full.

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there

No..the car does self regeneration according to pressure diferential and doesnt normally have a light come up to say it doing it..it will however display warning messages if the antipollution system is defective/low eloys additive that helps with emmisions...however 26miles a week and doing stop start situations could risk problems in regards ***** ***** the system relys on long journeys regulary to help keep the filter clear and to enable the car to complete the regeneration..thats why it often advised if you do very limited mileage per week/month/year..petrol variants would be much better suited..

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Robert, you may have misunderstood me I meant I do a 26 mile journey once a week is this enough to clear filter if I keep it in 4th gear I also do a bit of touring at weekends.

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

As long as the car is used regular on a weekly bases and as you add doing journeys/touring..and gets enough time to self regenerate then that all it needs really..what im getting at really through allot of experience is cars not getting ample time to keep the soot levels down and usually the most common occurrence of that is basically lack of use/ short stop start journeys