Robert, Peugeot Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK

Looking information on rear brake imbalance on a 206...

Customer Question

Hi, Looking for any information on rear brake imbalance on a 206...
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..there.. appears you have done the majority of the checks but wouldnt gone as far as replacing the brake master cylinder though..Inner drum surface is critical and grooves running inside the drum can cause that..but if it seems ok and wear seems to be match the other side then you could rule that out - also are you adjusting them properly - you need turn the little adjuster one or two turns at a time - until as such when then drum is back on you'll feel the shoes slightly drag on the inner face of the drum and it should match both sides - so make sure thats done..but if your not getting any brake force at all on that side..if you getting a good flow of brake fluid through the clear line when bleeding the rear cylinder then you could maybe rule out one of the two flexi lines that lead over the axle towards the rear cylinder..which only leaves the brake compensator valve..thats the valve you see your brakes lines from the front end enter and the brakes lines from the valve distribute to both rear cylinders.. these brake compensator valves are so common for issues normally caught out during mot time due to seizure or can cause imbalance braking on the have someone in the car stamp on the brake a few times whislt you see if the lever on the valave moves..if not then it no doubt siezed which can be freed up or it may have developed a fault internally so it may likely be your issue there.... it just so happens to be mounted on the drivers side above the rear axle as per to sense the axle height to compensate as per increase or decrease rear braking effort/pressure as thats how it works...but removal is a little bit of pig if some of the unions on the brake lines chumf up that fit to the valve so bear that in mind .so make sure you clean any rust etc around them use wd-40 around them and undo them with proper brake line spanners when replacing the brake compensator valve on these..and if i recall you have about a single torx bolt holding the valve itself..I do hope this helps
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Robert,

Many thanks for your detailed reply..I shall have a bash as suggested.

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..there..Stuart - thats no problem.. Like i any 206's ive worked on or during mot these valves always seem to be the favorite for seizure or cause imbalance issues on the certainly a few things to look at..

if you need anything else then just ask... also please dont forget however to rate my answer above most appreciated..thanks Robert