Robert
Robert, Peugeot Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

The horn on my peugeot 206 does not work and the airbag light

Customer Question

The horn on my peugeot 206 does not work and the airbag light is on what is the most likely cause of this?
They did not occur simultaneously
Category: Peugeot
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had the RAC out to take a look at the horn and they said it was something to do with the power at the wheel, because no power was travelling to the horn itself. With regards ***** ***** airbag system they scanned it and said it was an intermittent fault within the airbag system
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
Hi..there..apologies for the delay..
If both horn/airbag warning failure has occured at the same time then its pretty highly likely the clockspring/squib on the steering column has developed a fault..as that squib primarily allows the airbag/horn circuit to operate through the column upto the steering wheel itself..because to replace that involves airbag removal on the steering wheel and steering wheel removal..it would be best to employ a garage to carry out replacement of that...I do hope this helps
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you know if that is an expensive thing to have fixed ?
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
Hi..
Getting it removed and installed should fairly straight forward as it requires removal of the steering wheel to get to it..it likely depending on the model..the squib will be part of the comms2000 which essentially is the entire unit your indicator/wiper stalks fit into and this works in of the bsi and needs recognised if another is fitted some these come in at £200 hard to say without the cars details/vin..not so much with the squib should be littel cheaper itself as that primarily is just a coil of wire to allow to steering wheel to turn in either direction all the time supplying a connection so as the airbag/horn will work..if there is any break in that coil of wire in the squib the horn wont work /airbag light will come up as its detected an open circuit on that drivers airbag...