Robert
Robert, Peugeot Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I wonder if you could help me with some problems I

I wonder if you could help me with some problems I am having – as I use my car to do my work and travel approx 60 to 80 miles per day.
1st Question: I recently brought a used Peugeot 208 1.4 HDi Access Plus (Manual, Diesel that is 2 years old; registered in 2013) – about one week ago. It had done 42,580 miles (genuine miles).
I noticed 5 days later after moving the car (after it was parked overnight), there was a small trickle of black water on the ground. The water seems to have come from under the bonnet somewhere.
Ever since, the same thing keeps happening when the car is parked and I have also noticed a small trail of wet patched along the ground where I pull up and reverse the car to park.
Do you have any idea what this could be?
And how serious is this?
Roughly how much would it cost to get it repaired?
Final Question: Do you know the name of any reputable garages (that’s not going to charge an arm & a leg) in the London borough of Hillingdon area.
Thank you for your help.
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..there..

Have you noticed any change in coolant/oil level before setting off?

Or engine temperature issues?

Which area roughly do you know does the leak seem to appear underneath?

Whats the cars registration number?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Robert,

I have not noticed any of the changes you have asked about because I was not aware of these. From now on I shall take notice of the coolant/oil level and temperature before setting off and compare it to when I park the car.

The engine looks clean and I cannot detect where the leak is coming from. The little trickle of water is clear not black as I first thought. The leak seems to be coming somewhere from under the engine area.

What I have noticed is:

The car always feels hot inside when I am driving and I always have to leave the air conditioning on.

I checked the coolant container (I think it is the coolant container - the one with yellowish fluid next to the windowscreen wiper water container) and it is nearly on the minimum level.

I am going out now and will take note of the temperature etc.

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..

Ok..suspect from what your syaing it will just be the Air Conditioning thats causing that..and is perfectly normal to see that after or during the air con use.especially when the cars parked up..all cars basically do it if fitted with the air conditioning - they have a drain pipe that comes out the base of the heater box/evaporator assembly to dump the condensate. Air-Con removes excess humidity from the air, this is condensed and channeled away by pipe..that goes through the floor and out underneath..and thus the condensate/water just drains off out on the road..so im pretty sure thats what your seeing with regards ***** ***** trickle of clear/clean looking water and nothing to worry about..I do hope this helps

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your reply.

Just to let you know that I drove a short distance (10 to 15 minutes) and there was no trickle of water when the car was parked approx for 1 hr).

However, I noticed that the temperature gauge went all the way up to 90 after drving the short distance back (approx 10 to 15 mins).

Although, I had the air conditioning on - all over the dashboard was extermely hot, the steering wheel was warm and the car bonnet was hot.

I know it is a hot day today - but is this normal.

Finally, you didn't answer my last question:

Do you know the name of any reputable garages (that’s not going to charge an arm & a leg) in the London borough of Hillingdon area.

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..there..

Yes by the description you gave it cetainly sounds like the A/C draining..but like i say nothing to worry about - hence why i didnt answer about garages in your area considering its not a fault really or requires a garage to check it out...but i can include a link below you can search through as that all we're allowed to give out sadly.....But as far as the temp goes 90 on the guage is average so i dont see an issue there to be honest..as far as the hot dashboard/steering wheel..try turning the heater hot setting off when in A/C use - if its blowing cold air through the vents when the A/C is in use then again from what your saying it doesnt sound like theres any problem going on as far as i believe..

copy/paste link - http://www.goodgaragescheme.com/
or click here
Robert, Peugeot Technician
Experience: Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your help Robert and for the garage link.