Robert
Robert, Peugeot Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

MY CAR BROKE THE FAN BELT AND I MANAGED TO DRIVE 2 MINUTES

MY CAR BROKE THE FAN BELT AND I MANAGED TO DRIVE 2 MINUTES AWAY TO MY LOCAL GARAGE. AS MY MOT WAS THE NEXT DAY I BOOKED IT IN. THE CAR HAD BEEN DRIVING GREAT BEFORE AND ASIDE FROM NEW BREAK PADS, I WAS NOT AWARE OF ANY OTHER PROBLEMS. I HAD TO WAIT 2 WEEKS AS THERE WAS A PROBLEM WITH THEIR MOT EQUIPMENT AND AS I HAD NO IMMEDIATE USE FOR THE CAR I BIDED MY TIME. WHEN I FINALLY PICKED UP THE CAR, IT STARTED OK BUT LESS THAN A MILE AWAY IT BEGAN TO JUDDER AND ROLLED TO A HAULT. I CALLED THE GARAGE AND THEY CAME OUT. THEY DEDUCED THAT I HAD CAUSED THE PROBLEM BY RUNNING IT TOO LOW ON FUEL AND RUINED THE JETS AND SO THE CAR WAS NOW USELESS. I HAD 68 MILES ON THE GAUGE BEFORE I WOULD BE IN TROUBLE AND SO PRIOR TO BREAKING DOWN I WAS ACTUALLY ON ROUTE TO FILLING UP. HE PUT IN MORE FUEL AND WHAT I THOUGHT WAS A HELL OF A LOT OF OIL AS I HAD CHECKED IT BEFORE I BOOKED THE CAR IN AND IT WAS FINE. I MANAGED TO DRIVE THE CAR HOME AND AFTER 3 DAYS DECIDED TO GET A SECOND OPINION FROM THE RAC. TO MY EMBARASSMENT THE CAR STARTED STRAIGHT AWAY. I DROVE UP AND DOWN THE ROAD AND FOR A SHORT DISTANCE THE RAC MAN FOLLOWED ME. THE CAR WAS GOING FINE AROUND TOWN, HOWEVER, A FEW DAYS LATER I HAD TO GO TO LONDON. THE CAR WAS GOING FINE EVEN A 60 MPH THERE WAS NO PROBLEM UNTIL AFTER ABOUT15 MILES THERE WAS A STRANGE WHIRRING NOISE AND THE CAR LOST POWER AND STOPPED. I CALLED THE RAC MAN WHO IMMEDIATELY SAW THAT THE MAN FROM THE GARAGE HAD OVERFILLED THE CAR WITH OIL AND THE DIAGNOSIS WAS EITHER THE TIMING WAS OUT OR THE CAR WAS "HYDRAULLICING" BECAUSE OF OIL ON THE PISTONS. HE TOLD ME IT WAS SERIOUS BUT IF I COULD AT LEAST LOWER THE OIL LEVEL AND TRY TO START THE CAR I MAY BE ABLE TO BURN THE OIL OFF. I HAVE TRIED THIS WITH NO SUCCESS, ALL I GET IS THE ENGINE TRY TO FIRE AS SOON AS I TURN THE KEY THEN IT JUST TURNS OVER WITHOUT STARTING. I HAVE VERY LITTLE MONEY AND MY CAR IS MY LIFELINE TO SEE MY FAMILY SO PLEASE COULD YOU ADVISE ME BEFORE I SPEND ANY MORE MONEY ON IT. I TOOK OUT THE GLOW PLUGS AND ONE HAD OIL OVER IT BUT THE OTHERS WERE FINE APART FROM SOME CARBON RESIDUE.
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..there..apologies for the delay

Why did you not instruct them to replace the fan belt and take the car away if their MOT equipment wasnt available for 2 weeks?

Why did that garage fill the engine with Oil if it ran low or out of fuel?

Any warnings on the dash prior to breakdown?

Im asuming this is an HDI deisel engine? What model of Peugeot do you have and Year inc mileage?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I DID NOT KNOW UNTIL A FEW DAYS LATER THAT THE MOT EQUIPMENT WAS NOT AVAILABLE AND AS HE IS THE HUSBAND OF A FRIEND HE USUALLY GIVES ME A GOOD DEAL.

HE CHECKED THE OIL ON THE ROADSIDE AND PUT SOME IN. HE THEN LOOKED AT THE DASHBOARD AND SAID I ALSO NEEDED FUEL. HE WENT TO A GARAGE AND CAME BACK WITH TWO CANS OF DIESEL.

THERE WERE NO WARNINGS ON THE DASH PRIOR TO BREAKDOWN.

IT IS A HDI DIESEL RAPIER ESTATE

A "Y" REG.

MILAGE: 138686

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..there..

Ok..Well Low fuel can in a sense can cause the car to loose power and judder.because of fuel pressure..HDI's are pretty sensitive to that ..but i certainly dont agree running it low with 68miles left has damaged the injectors..thats why a fuel filter is in place..have you looked into getting the fuel filter changed? might be one idea.......

The Oil factor..if it was found to be way overfilled then the garage/mechanic has to take some sort of responsability for that....With any engine if the level gets too high way beyond the max mark then you can risk crankcase over pressuring aswell as more stress on the timing belt if the cylinders are filled with oil "hydrolocking" aswell as bending rods and valves - the engine could ingest through the pcv system and into the turbo.intake,exhaust system or blow oil seals.....Lowering the engine oil is no doubt the best idea as you have done..and then see if it starts..what i would say..if all 4 glowplugs are out...then check cylinder compressions..you may need specialised pressure tester and fitting for that..and this will let you know if any compression has been lost as it wont start if it has and means a new engine or by internal damage due to overfilled oil...the next logical step is to check the timing aswell as the belt itself tension wise and whether the failed fan belt has caused the timing belt to jump is that fan belt shredded and worked it way into the timing cover and lower sprocket...You will need timing tools to check the engine timing..if all seems to be fine?..then spray some brake cleaner or easy start up into the intake..if it starts on that..then that will mean likely a fuel delivery issue either bad fuel pump,timing error - blocked fuel filter...If it still doesnt start on that either then its most likely mechanical,compression loss failure or timing is way off.....I do hope this help..if you require to ask anything further then please do before you rate