Robert, Peugeot Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK

I have a Peugeot 5008 and I am trying to find the location

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Peugeot 5008 and I am trying to find the location of the coolant temperature sensor. My replacement one is not threaded, looks like it is held in by a spring clip which was not in the box. Please help, it's driving me insane.
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Robert replied 11 months ago.
Whats your registration number?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Robert replied 11 months ago.
Ok..yes the sensor you have is correct for that engine..the clip is already holding the old sensor.. so the clip is re-used which is why they dont supply another with the will should have a replacement o-ring...the sensor removal is simple just pull up the release the sensor - pull the sensor out..make sure the old o-ring came with it..put the new sensor in with new o-ring hold it in then refit the clip and push it back in till it locks.thats may have to end up refilling the coolant unless your good at changing them over quickly... the sensor is actually on the thermostat housing..
They have done a few changes to these on some engines and models which ive come across myself where the housing doesnt have the sensor at all..but the updated one does along with the updated wiring keep that in to solve it you need the entire thermostat housing which isnt easiest of things to replace on them..but ive included a picture of the thermostat housing number 11 being the sensor on the 1.6 petrol 16v which i persume you have with the reg you supplied..unless you want to me to further verfiy the location if you can supply the VIN number..but as above thats where the sensor is...I do hope this helps..if you require to ask anything further then just continue before you rate
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That all makes sense thank you but the only thing I required earlier was an exact photo as I can't find it anywhere. Also, where do I find the photo you said you had included?
Expert:  Robert replied 11 months ago.
Hi..Ive included in the answer above but heres the link below just click the picture or view full image..let me know if you can see it or not?
Remember the housing is on the right hand side of the cylinder head as long as you can see the small bleed screw.looks like a plastic philips head screw/bolt you'll see the sensor close by it - so you may want to shift parts of the intake tube/intake filter box to see in
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'll have a look in the morning when I can see without a torch as there are no links of any fashion showing on my iPhone, maybe I need to use a laptop to view links.
Thanks for your help and I'll let you know how I get on.
Expert:  Robert replied 11 months ago.
Yeah the links are there...If its any help..Just look up a photo of thermostat housing online for that particular engine but they do vary according to vin and what 1.6 you have in there. and you should see the sensor..mostly the housings new or what ever come with the sensor as standard..might help further..
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi, I have spent ages today trying to find this damn sensor, could it be that I don't have one?
When I start the car, after 15 seconds the needle goes straight to red and the radio display says engine temperature problem STOP.
I'm assuming that all 5008's have a sensor somewhere and I bought one that is meant to be for my model but I just can't find the thing.
Expert:  Robert replied 11 months ago.
Its very likely that the housing you have has the sensor integral of the thermostat housing..we had a similar issue in our garage not so long ago with the same type of fault on a 61 plate 207 with the same engine..we eventually pulled the thermstat housing off after not being able to find the sensor either to find the housing didnt have any sensor on had mulitplug to it but obviously for internal sensor..ordered in direct from the dealer..and low an behold the new housing had the sensor and updated wiring harness!..Id say the best thing you can do is directly consult with the local dealeror ask the technical service side and ask if yours requires the housing with sensor included and updated harness.. according to what i see with your reg in the peugeot parts database it does show one with the sensor fitted to the thermostat housing as that the only sensor the ecu uses to give the info for doesn't use any other sensor..and the fact they did give you the non threaded type thats held with the clip proves that they asume like i can see with the diagram you think you have that type of housing be it the updated one..I do hope this helps..