Robert
Robert, Peugeot Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I have a Peugeot 207 and I am having to top up my car with

Customer Question

I have a Peugeot 207 and I am having to top up my car with oil every 6-8 weeks is this normal? I have had my car into a couple of different garages and they can't seem to find anything wrong. Is there maybe a certain type of oil I should use to stop this happening?
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..there..
What the registration of the vehicle?
How often does the car get used / or mileage wise?
How much roughly do you need to top up?
When was its last Oil & Filter change?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nd08 zds I do about 150-200 miles a week I have to put at least half a litre in every 6 weeks and I don't know when the oil filter was last changed but it was mot'd in March this year and I've had the car looked at twice now
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..there..
Ok i see your car now a 1.4vti engine - The type of oil for that engine is 5W/30 Synthetic - The mileage your doing lets say over the 6 weeks roughly 200miles a week makes that in the 1200miles...In that view if you needing to top up every 6 weeks upto a 1 litre of oil or less after doing 1200miles..roughly puts that into the manufacturer's normal consumtion or exceeds that slightly - alot of manufacturers do state that for every 1000miles the use of 1 litre or the need to top up with 1 litre of oil every 1000miles is normal..alot of newer engines on the majority of vehicles nowadays are like that.Id imagine during the MOT emissions test any excess oil being burnt off in the engine would of been picked up by the emissions test and maybe failed as a result...So i dont really see an "issue" form what your saying and going by its use etc...One thing that did pop up on the cars and covered the vast majority of engines in the 207 was an oil leak on the engine caused by the failure of brake servo vacuum pump seal..Id imagine one of these garage would of had that info and checked that just incase..because they would of had been fitted with a modified brake servo vacuum pump to rectify that problem..if there is no leak in that area then you can diregard that if its already been carried out..but maybe something to keep a note of. should it happen at somepoint in the future..I do hope this helps
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help I just wanted to know if this was normal or not so your advice has been a great help
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi.... No problem at all... However please dont forget to rate my answer above most appreciated - and should you require anything further/ advice etc then just ask