Robert
Robert, Peugeot Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

Had a new clutch put in 407. Made the most awful noise after

Customer Question

had a new clutch put in 407. Made the most awful noise after 100 miles, really hard to get into gear , especially first! Brought back to mechanic, said all sorts of things, meant nothing to me. Said he fixed it, ( something little ring blew up he said) Off again, and not even 50 miles, the gears jumped, and had to drive in 2nd gear back to him. Now says it is MY FAULT, I WRECKED THE CLUTCH....HELP PLEASE
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..there..
What was the intial reason for a clutch to be put in?
Did the clutch pedal feel any differant or loss of pressure?
Did they fit a full clutch kit in "should of come as 3 parts" what make of kit do you know if detailed on invoice..
Do you know exactly what "ring" he ment? maybe the release bearing or something off the clutch hydraulic lines - rubber o ring seal??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI ROBERT. I BROKE DOWN ON THE ROAD, THE CLUTCH WOULD NOT MOVE ANY WHICH WAY. TOWED TO GARAGE, HE SAID IT NEEDED A NEW CLUTCH, AND WOULD BE UNDER GUARANTEE. 400 QUID LATER, I HAVE HAD THIS CAR BACK 3 TIMES, AND AS I AM A WOMAN DRIVER, HE ACCUSED ME OF :SITTING ON THE CLUTCH: HE SHOWED ME A METAL RING, ABOUT 6 INCHES ROUND, SAID THAT EXPLODED!!! NOW HE CANNOT FIX IT, AND SAYS I DESTROYED THE CLUTCH. PLEASE CAN YOU HELP ROBERT
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..there..
The problem here is simple - your car was diagnosed with clutch failure - so a new clutch kit had to be fitted..now this includes the friction plate / pressure plate / release bearing...Once a full inepction had been made the flywheel then the new clutch assembly can be fitted and correctly torqued to the flywheel - the gearbox reinstalled and all other driveline components aswell as including a top up of transmission fluid or full replacement..the clutch hydraulic release re-bled and then the car test driven to ensure the clutch/release clears to be able to get a smooth gearchange..and clutch bite should about between full depressed clutch pedal to half way from the floor....... The fact you did experiance diffcult gear change and noise emiting from the clutch only after a short drive of 100miles means that something hadnt been installed correctly or some part of clutch hadnt been changed..so intially the fault has occured from the very beginning and had 3 chances to sort it out.and failing each time until the clutch itself has become damaged..I cant see how that would be driver error in your case unless you had been riding clutch for extended period of time in which case the car would be either smoking from the clutch/bellhousing or the cabin would be filled with burnt clutch smell..if none of this was happening? then the problem has to be with installation of somekind..Its really a difficult one to say without actually seeing the fault..or that part he had shown you..but going by your desription of events and the fact you had to return the car 3 times without a satisfactory fix..means in theory you shouldnt have to pay for a bad installation or workmanship which i think has gone wrong here..Id say from here if the garage isnt willing to fix it for you..then may have a word with local trade and standards and see what route you can take on this one..it may mean having to get a independant inspection done of the work carried out..and if another clutch has to be installed then you could persue/invoice the original garage for compenstation for having to get job carried out elsewhere.its really something to take up with Trade/standards and see where you stand....I do hope this helps..If you require to ask anything further then just continue before you rate