Robert
Robert, Peugeot Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

Robert, I have a 207C 07 plate. it has 40,000 on clock.

Customer Question

Hi Robert, I have a 207C 07 plate. it has 40,000 on clock. i bought in oct. it was fine but when I went on the motorway the warning message depollution system fault came up when i hit 70mph and then lost power. when i stopped it then cut out. it would start up again but was rough. it does have a slight white smoke from the exhaust. at lower speeds I have no problem. could you advise what is the likely problem and whether it is an expensive fix. a friend did look at the solenoids, but did not find a problem. .
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Robert replied 9 months ago.
Hi..there.. What Fault Codes did you get? What engine does it have?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i do not know the underlying codes, but on the radio screen, it comes up with depollution system fault. The engine is 1.6 petrol. Automatic 5 gears
Expert:  Robert replied 9 months ago.
Hi.. Ok..i just asummed going by your referance of having "codes looked at" you may of had them noted down - i cant stress enough that its essential at least from a starting point getting this car plugged in to find out what those fault codes are,this aves alot of time - your depollution light is also an indicator of a fault in the engine management system and a diagnostic scan should help figure out what step you need to take with regards ***** ***** there so many possibilites there are several checks need to be made depending on the codes... Inspection of the ignition system this includes getting the sparkplugs out to see what condition they are in,that can tell alot as to regards ***** ***** cylinders are at fault - next a compression test..make sure the coils & injectors are unplugged..fit the compression tester in place of the spark plug and fully open throttle an turn over until the needle stops on the gauge when this is done and evaluate the compression finding on all 4 cylinders..which should be even across all 4..any found to low they will be the problem either by fault headgasket "white smoke" coolant usage..so check your coolant level..or timing fault..with diagnostic plugged in they can also check operation of the oxygen sensors.cat converter.they can be prone to fault oxygen sensors throwing off air fuel trims or causing overfuelling this in turn is then picked up by the ecu as rich mixture.thus emmissions depollution fault..but like i say your best finding out what fault codes you have first...