350matt
350matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng Hons, worked in the car industry for last 22 years
12772297

The automatic gearbox on my 307 gives a severe kick from

Customer Question

the automatic gearbox on my 307 gives a severe kick from time to time goes from 4 t to third with a bang stays in 3rd switch off restart back to normal reparable ? or a new gearbox ?
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 6 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  350matt replied 6 months ago.
Hello I'd take a look at the colour of the transmission oil it should be a dark red colour if its black then its needs changing together with its oil filter. Also check its level with the gearbox warm and just after you've moved the selector through all the positions leaving it for a few seconds in each one and then back to park. You can top up the box through the side fill plug if required and make sure you use the correct oil for your car as the fluids are not all the same. Some manufacturers recommended a change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - they will advise you on the updated fluid to use.. If that’s all OK then check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire If this is OK then check the selector lever linkage / cable under the car for any broken parts and or missing bolts as if this is coming adrift then it can rub on the car body or just bind up Then - you should top up if low and re try it - or, if its level is ok - and condition is ok - then the next step is to drain it off - open it up and clean the filters inside -- refill and retry it.. Often - just doing the above cures many troubles with these - and you certainly can't condemn the unit without doing the above...