350matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng Hons, worked in the car industry for last 22 years

My niece bought a 307 HDi in an auction yesterday and it has

Customer Question

Hi my niece bought a 307 HDi in an auction yesterday and it has an occasional acceleration problem with a 'ANTIPOLLUTION FAULT' showing. (Her previous A class Mercedes car had an air gas problem that consumed a lot of garage time and money before being scrapped last week and it looks like this one might be the same problem. So we need good advice and maybe even if you know a good mechanic in Merseyside. )
Looking on the internet both conditions seem common with the 307. She has it booked into a garage tomorrow but rather than them trying to repair all sorts of possible problems, what is the real cause and fix. I've just seen this blog and if this is ok to follow let us know.
"So if you have the "anti pollution fault" and various electrical faults on your peugeot 307, before you do anything else, get a garage to remove your exhaust from it's rubber bungs and check the underside, car facing part of your exhaust! Chances are your exhaust is corroded somewhere and it is sucking in air causing the fault!"
I to have had this “Anti pollution fault” when i lost the little clip that retains the throttle cable to the sender throttle housing,i found that by slackening the cable slightly thus reducing the idleing revs cured my problem...
Is that a potential solution?
Anxious Aunty Ann.
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
From what I have read online this seems a common problem with Peugeots so it should be something that experienced mechanics have come across before. Please see if you can get a response tomorrow. thank you. ann
Thank you for getting back to me and apologies that you have not received an answer yet. We have a range of Professionals online all the time. However specialties differ, and we are searching for the right professional to assist you.
Should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
Expert:  350matt replied 2 months ago.

I'd agree that check the exhaust for leaks / air ingress is a good idea and I'd also suggest to plug the car into scan tool so you can pull off the fault code

as this will point more directly at the issue and save a lot of time in repairs

another possibility is this may be an issue with the FAP system

In the exhaust is a soot filter known to PSA as a FAP. It runs very hot to burn some of the soot off every few thousand miles. It uses an additive is called Eolys and is stored next to the diesel tank with a computer controlled dosing mechanism.

If you don't drive it long enough, fast enough; then the regeneration process won't commence and the filter will block. Take it for a 40 minute blast down a empty dual carriageway; As you need to maintain above 50mph for around six minutes - that will start the process.

Alternatively; take it to your dealer or Peugeot specialist for a forced regeneration. If it's done more than 50,000 they will probably just fit a new FAP and top up the additive. this will cost £6-800.

Expert:  350matt replied 2 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you