350matt
350matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng Hons, worked in the car industry for last 22 years
12772297

Idiling problems on a2009 peugeot 308 1400cc anti polution

Customer Question

idiling problems on a2009 peugeot(###) ###-####c anti polution fault coming up on screen
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  350matt replied 1 year ago.

if you 've got a fault light on then by far the best casue of action is to have a scan tool plugged int the car to read off the stored code and so point to the fault

this will save a lot of time in the long run

however anti-polution faults are often an issue with the oxygen sensors in the exhaust

1st Check for exhaust leaks before the O2 sensor as if this has been experiencing an exhaust leak then it will have been running very rich as the sensor will see the extra air pulled in as fresh / lean fuelling and be adding fuel to compensate.

this can lead to catalyst failure as the extra fuel can re-light inside and melt the catalyst

The best way to find an exhaust leak is to run the engine from cold and feel around the exhaust joints with your bare hands - you'll have about 30 seconds before it all gets too hot and you should feel any escaping gas blowing over your fingers

Expert:  350matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you