350matt
350matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng Hons, worked in the car industry for last 22 years
12772297

Possible gearbox noise

Customer Question

Possible gearbox noise
Category: Peugeot
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Scraping noise on acceleration, goes when clutch depressed. Not there on tick over only when gearbox engaged. First thought was clutch so bought new kit but not keen to fit it and discover noise is still there. Possible intermediate bearing? Input bearing? Tried jacking front end and running in gear got underneath but can't really hear it. Only under load, it would appear.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Maybe diff?
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 10 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'll continue waiting.
Expert:  350matt replied 10 months ago.

if the noise stops when the clutch is depressed then its likely to be the clutch release bearing

but as this has already been replaced I'd next drain the gearbox oil and as it drains, then strain it through some paper towel to catch any debris

if you have a lot of small metal particles then its possibly a faulty gearbox bearing

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for the reply. I am pretty sure it is a bearing noise. I have not replaced clutch and release bearing yet as was not 100% convinced that this was the problem. Reluctant to do the clutch then find out that the noise was still there. I would rather replace gearbox while it is off the car, if that is the issue. I was just hoping there may be some definitive tests I could do to determine the exact problem. It is just very difficult to diagnose. I will try the paper towel and see what that yields.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It's a 2002, 206, 1.4 petrol with 110,000 on the clock.
Expert:  350matt replied 10 months ago.

hello

If you have the inclination then you could strip down the gearbox to inspect the condition of the gear teeth and bearings

however being as you could probably pick up a good used gearbox for about £100 then its possibly the best option to find a unit with a 30 day warrenty and fit it

I'd suggest to use a Peugeot specialist brekaers to source the parts

http://www.peugeot-breakers.co.uk/

or

http://www.peugeot-citroen-breakers.co.uk/mobile/

Expert:  350matt replied 10 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you