Robert
Robert, Peugeot Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

We have a Peugeot 406 HDi Exec in which the air con/heater

We have a Peugeot 406 HDi Exec in which the air con/heater blower suddenly stopped working. Question: if the air con gas canister needs a recharge, would that cause the blower to stop working, even for heat? Thanks!
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 4 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This is taking far too long. I have an MOT in a month. At this rate, I may as well wait until then. Not very pleasant having no heater/blower to clear mist if the weather changes in the meantime! If the new Peugeot mechanic can reply BY EMAIL with a proper solution by 5pm Tues (over 24 hours), fine. If not, please cancel the job and refund. Thank you.
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

Hi..there...Im sorry to see that you havent had anyone help so you so far..so id be happy to help...

- Firstly has the blower completely stopped functioning when you switch it to either speed?

- Had the blower been causing issues prior to it failing?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for your response, Robert. No earlier issues - we just put the air con on, it was fine. Further along the road, everything went quiet. Couldn't get it back - and no heater either.
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

Ok..

If the Air Con is empty then it shouldnt stop the Blower in the car from working...the only thing that wont work is the Air-con compressor as the Air con system needs to see a certain pressure of gasin the system to work..hence you'll get no cold air coming into the cabin.....normally the most common failure to cause the fan fail is the fan control module/resistor which a black box with heatsyncs and has 2 green receptors for wiring..its mounted high up in the top right hand corner of the passenger footwell held in by one small screw.so its quite easy to change yourself...also as precaution ensure you have checked the fuses rlated to the fan also..which should be deatiled in the owners manual...

Robert, Peugeot Technician
Experience: Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for that, Robert. You've answered the thought about whether the a/c gas might be empty. Have already checked the fuses and was inclined towards the resistor route myself. I'll mention the problem to my mechanic when he does the check for MOT in a few weeks. If it IS the resistor, he can fix it, along with anything else required. But I know he won't change the gas canister, so if he says it needs doing, I'll book in at Halfords - they do it for £49. Thanks again.
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

No problem..But they need to ensure the AC system isnt leaking first and is able to hold a charge..so they must put a vacuum on the system and ensure it holds for upto 15minutes or so..before putting a a full charge on the system..no point in getting the system recharged if its leaking..just a bit a of advice...but hope you get your fan fixed..best of luck Robert

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Appreciate the extra advice, Robert - thanks again.