350matt
350matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng Hons, worked in the car industry for last 22 years
12772297

Boxer 2.2 diesel. cutting out and stalling Assistant: Thank

Customer Question

boxer 2.2 diesel. cutting out and stalling
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: just got this 2007 boxer van Ford Transit 2.2 litre turbo diesel
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Peugeot
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
question as problem relating to vehicle engine cutting out/hunting. fuel filter housing replaced. is it the filter in side fuel tank?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  350matt replied 1 month ago.

This could be a wiring issue as things tend to expand when hot and its possible a poor or partial electrical connection is being pushed apart on one of the major sensors so check the connection plug and wiring to the following;

Airflow meter

Crank position sensor

Cam position sensor

O2 sensor

Throttle pedal position sensor

unplug each in turn and use some switch / contact cleaner spray on the pins to ensure its all grease / dirt free

Also worth checking the connections to the fuel pump for the same reason - unplug each in turn and give them a good squirt of switch / contact cleaner - Not WD40

and also unplug and inspect the main power relays and fuses for signs of overheating or corroded terminals - so the ones for the ECU and the fuel pump

And also unplug the wiring loom connections in the engine bay one at time and inspect for corroded or recessed pins.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This is certainly a piece of good advice regarding automotive maintenance, and a good first approach. However, it will be a day or
two before I can carry out this procedure. The engine might stall as I leave a car park and might hunt, almost stalling. Possible to drive around, but irritating and needs to be sorted. Seems like a fuel delivery problem. If servicing the wiring does not eliminate the
problem, what would be a sensible follow up?
Expert:  350matt replied 1 month ago.

OK if the wiring doesn't help then also check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.